Post pics & descriptions of your setup

Please post a photo(s) and description of your iCM setup.

Comments

• I'm back in the "sound lab" (garage) again, and I'm ready to tackle setting up my ICM4+. Mainly I'm looking to get tactile control of iOS synths and get that audio into Live. Also, I may want to use use AudioBus as a Send for Live with LaunchControls midi mapped to change parameters.
    I will be working more on my setup.  But here is a list of what I intend to use:
    - MacBook Pro
    - Maschine MK1 connected directly to MacBook Pro to full compatibility to Maschine software
    - APC40 connected directly to MacBook Pro to full compatibility Live software
    - iCM4+ connected directly to MacBook Pro on Jack 3 (USB B on rear of iCM4+)
    - Aukey 10 port hub connected iCM4+ on USB A port (USB A Host Jack on rear of iCM4+)
    - iPad Air connected to iCM4+ on Jack 1 (USB B on front of iCM4+, requires Lightning iPad CCK)
    2 x LaunchControl connected to Aukey 10 port hub
    Launchkey Mini connected to Aukey 10 port hub
    - LaunchPad Mini connected to Aukey 10 port hub
    - NanoPad2 connected to Aukey 10 port hub
    - mAudio Keystation 49e connected to Aukey 10 port hub

I will be testing over the weekend.  But I'm not very experienced with the iConfig software.  Can I just leave it as defaults and expect it to work?
  • edited April 21
    In the beginning, I was helped more not by the default configuration, but by the Harro user's config from the audiob.us forum. Have a look at this tred:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/13647/iconnect-audio-4-discussion/p3
    Hope this helps
  • My setup:

ICM4+ connecting iPad Pro 12.9, iPad Mini 2 and MacBook Pro, plus a 10 port USB hub
    The ICM4+ is set up as an aggregate device with a Presonus StudioLive AR12 mixer giving me 18 in and 4 outs.
    Also connected to the ICM4+ is a Korg MicroKorg, Korg Monologue, Novation Circuit and Electribe Sampler 2.
    Connected to the hub is Xkey 25, Launchpad Mini, Launchkey 49, Akai APC mini and MidiMix for controlling Ableton Live.
    I use a Korg KP3 for FX routing and Yamaha HS80m monitors with the Presonus deck.image

• Thanks for photo chasingdogma.

I adjusted my connection a bit.  Going from Maschine Midi out to iCM4+ (and still going Maschine USB to Mac for software control).

I am able to get Midi patterns sent to iOS, but not parameter control.  Still investigating.
  • Okay start with the list:

Waldorf
    Microwave XTk sitting in place sorta, but needs to be reconnected
    Pulse
    Pulse2
    Blofeld
    Streichfett
    Miniwerks 4Pole

DSI
    Evolver (desktop)
    Tetra

Korg
    MS20 (s+h not working but whatever)
    M1 (program select is playing up, so it's hooked but not in use)
    KP3+
    SDD1000
    Volca Beats
    Monotron Delay

Yamaha
    QY700
    RY30 (currently playing silly buggers on me, needs to be looked at)

Roland
    MV8000 (can't find room for it, but it needs to go back in place somewhere!)

Arturia
    Keystep
    Beatstep Pro
    Minibrute

Akai
    Rhythm Wolf
    ME80P

Novation
    Remote25
    Zero SLMkII
    XStation (screen is not working but I can program it's controller from a PC and use it as a dedicated controller for something in that fashion)
    Circuit

Wave Idea
    Bitstream 3x

Squarp
    Pyramid

Frostwave
    Fat Controller

Behringer
    MX3242x
    PX2000 (x2)
    Ultragain MIC 200
    BCR-2000

Vermona
    Kick Lancet

Philip Rees
    V3

Kenton
    Merge4

Synthrotek
    Nandamonium

DBX
    166XL (x2)

Phonic
    PCL-3200

Kurzweil
    Mangler

Zoom
    R16
    R24

Vestex
    VM200

Focusrite
    Octopre Platinum

Some custom made 8in/16out midi switcher

iConnectivity
    MIO4

Senheiser
    HD380PRO (I have to use headphones due to my living arrangement)

There are a couple more pieces not hooked up which may or may not make it back in.

Now the MIDI map:

BSP->Zero---------->Remote25->ME80P
                      \                              \
                       >MIO4 USB host    >Keystep->BS3x->ME80P
                        \                              \               \
                         >mms8/16              >KP3+     >MIO4 USB host

Pyramid->ME80P(x2)
                  \
                   >MIO4 USB Host

ME80P out's:
    MMS8/16
    BSP
    4Pole->Mangler
    4 ports->Merge4->ME80P
                               \
                                >MMS8/16
    Blofeld
    MIO4

MMS8/16 out's
    Pulse
    Pulse2
    Evolver
    Minibrute
    Fat Controller->ME80P

MIO4

dins
    Circuit
    QY700<=>VM200
    ME80P
    Rhythm Wolf (in) / Volca Beats (out)

usb host
    Zero
    Streichfett
    BS3x
    Pulse2
    Tetra
    Pyramid

I need to takes some screen shots of the routings, just for my own sake.  The din routings are pretty straight forward, but the USB will require reference sheets for sure.

This is going to change, I know it, as really this is a amendment of the old network.  I've drawn up an ideal model including the new switch/router, but whether I have the right lengths of cable I don't know.  The prospect of getting in there and chasing the connected leads is a bit daunting, not to mention the repatch!

Photos:

Copper spaghetti:

A few thing are not in view, like the XTk, which are sitting behind the sequencer side of the layout.
  • That's a hell of a nice setup. And you have a Waldorf XTk! I've lusted after one of those for years...
  • Cheers, now if I can stop playing technician and make something more than a cacophony (testing with everything running), I'll post some sounds too.

My first brand-new-from-a-shop-and-everything synth was the XTk (not including the M1 which was a 21st present).  From then on I was in love with Waldorf.  I don't know how I'm going to get a Quantum, but by hook or by crook I'll get one and deal with where to put it when it arrives.

The Blofeld is similar to the Microwave, but it's wavetables are a higher bitrate (can't remember the actual specs but it's like 10 vs 16) so make it sound rather pristine in comparison, which is one thing that hit me straight away before knowing the rates of either.  Not the greatest to combine them due to their similar synthesis natures but a Pulse under either brings out the joy.
    I actually only just ducked my head in as I was waiting for the XStation programmer software to install so I can turn it into a set of keys and knobs for my Blofeld, heheh......
  • edited August 10
    Since I posted last, I've acquired more gear and changed things up a little.  Grabbed a Volca Kick and a MAM ADX1 (Simmons Drum-esque drum synth).  The Volca Kick doesn't seem to suffer as badly as the Volca Beats does when flooded with MIDI so won't need the MIO filtering treatment.  Nice that Korg addressed that.

Tweaking the MIO is still going as the XStation made the MIDI signal path in and out that little bit more complex.  Adding the ADX1 meant the Pyramid got given drum duties again, that meant making sure there were no clock doubling going on.  I've gone from using the Pyramid as the master and then trying to run that and the BSP into most every instrument, to having a dedicated clock source only from the Pyramid's B output, then finally using the BSP's clock out being repeated by the Zero's flywheel to run the instruments on the MIO and the Pyramid for the big old DIN port patchbays with the Pyramid clocking the BSP.  I like to have every sequencer's transport operational, which means the chances of clock doubling/tripling/quadrupling is very high.

Which brings me to a feature request: Would it be unfeasible to have the Realtime filter be switchable between all and clock?  I'm not up on how Realtime messages are divided, if at all they are.
  • I've actually been thinking a lot recently if there might be a way to handle MIDI Clock signals better. Let me think it over a bit and see what we can do.