Using a Yamaha keyboard with USB-MIDI jack?

edited April 2015 in MIDI
Hi,
I just received the iConnectAudio (very excited) and have been very happy with my iConnectMIDI4+. However, both are not able to receive MIDI signals from my Yamaha CP5's USB-to-host MIDI port. I know that Yamaha's MIDI requires drivers on PCs/Macs, but is it possible for the iConnect devices to work with this connector as well for controlling apps on the iPad? Not a huge inconvenience either way, as it has MIDI Din connectors, but USB is just more convenient.

Appreciate anyone's insight.

Thanks!
RT

Comments

• There are some Yamaha keyboards that are supported on the host jack (not all of them though). But in general, the host jack wants to use USB-MIDI class compliant devices - so if the hardware requires a special driver from the manufacture, there's a good chance it's not supported by the host jack.

In that case, you would want to use the DIN ports.

Let me know if you have any other concerns,
    -JS
  • I just received my iConnectMIDI4+ and I have the same problem with two keyboards.
    No communication between iConnectMIDI4+ and my YAMAHA S90XS with USB-to-Host MIDI port. The same with my MOTIF RACK YAMAHA.
    No problem with the KRONOS KORG !

I will check the S90XS firmware but I'm afraid it's not the problem.
    As jsandeen said the iConnectMIDI4+ needs certainly a special driver from Yamaha.

mayby in the next firmare ?

FL

• Hi
    I've just upgraded my Yamaha S90XS firmware from 1.02 to 1.06 but no communication as well. The desert!!
    Please mister iConnectivity do something for the people who are Yamaha devices :))
    F
  • I know nothing about the S90xs, but if it's not class-compliant then unfortunately there's not much we can do. It's speaking its own language.
  • Hi,
    I've been testing for 4 days to get my Yamaha Motif XF8/XS7/S90-XS/01V96 get connected via USB. No chance! Very disappointing! 3rd-Party Software (www.jmelas.gr) can connect via DIN but not Yamaha's Editor-Software (for Synths). Studio Manager works with DIN. Slower than USB but works.
  • Toc toc toc !!
    Hey mister iConnectivity you know Yamaha users is a big big family :)
    Can't you do something for us...
    Many many thanks in advance
    F.
  • edited September 2015
    Hey, then you also want to get your family together to shout at Yamaha about making their instruments USB Class Compliant like the rest of the world is! :) Tell little Yamaha the iConnectivity family is big!
  • But of course we hear you.