Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DIN i/o and iConfig assignments

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm not clear on this point:
If each DIN source is a physical i/o pair, do two DIN devices each need to reference the other in iConfig for bi-directional MIDI? Or would that cause MIDI feedback?
Example:
DIN1-FCB1010 controller -->DIN2-Adrenalinn gtr module
DIN2-Adrenalinn gtr mod-->FCB1010 controller

TIA, Tom

Comments

• edited August 2016
    They need to be routed to each other in your example, yes, but you could also route MIDI through a computer device.

With either routing you *can* create a MIDI feedback loop when the MIDI In to a device is echoed back to its MIDI Out. But normally that's not going to happen in any setup that makes sense, for example your guitar module is going to know not to send incoming foot controller data back out again.

Maybe there's a setting to do that in case someone has an application for it, but it's unlikely to be part of a default.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Also, check these two blog posts out if you haven't already:

http://www.iconnectivity.com/blog/how-use-foot-controller-iconnectaudio4-great-video

http://www.iconnectivity.com/blog/midi-port-routing-really-easy
  • That helped, Nick, thanks. I'm aware that devices usually filter out their own data by default, to prevent MIDI feedback. But the take-away would be that every device (I have 4, total. 2xDIN and 2xUSB) that is a Destination--at a minimum--should also be set as a Source in iConfig for bi-directional MIDI with that device, yes?
  • It has to be set as a source for MIDI entering the interface to be enabled. Destinations have MIDI exiting the interface enabled, but also routed - meaning that you can route MIDI headed to any destination to any and all destinations.
  • Yes, I think I get it now. My rig is intended to function as a standalone, headless (no cpu attached via "USB Device"), network between DIN and USB MIDI sources and destinations during live gigs. (The only exception will be when the rig is in the studio for configuration and setups, where it'll be attached via USB Device jack #3 to a Mac's MIDI Manager for further routing)

From the way I'm understanding you, the assignments in iConfig need to be explicitly indicated in BOTH directions--even if a Source is ONLY a source of data and a Destination is ONLY a destination for data. The handshaking required for some MIDI operations can't be assumed simply by one assignment. Bi-directional (handshaking) communication between any 2 devices requires 2 assignments in iConfig, each device as Source and Destination for the other. Is that an accurate way of putting it? Thanks for your time, Nick! Tom
  • Yup, you got it. If you're handshaking, then you need to route MIDI in both directions.

Which interface do you have, by the way?
  • I have the ICM4+, upgraded to the most recent firmware. Coming from the MIDI 'old school' of DIN-only interfaces, its been a bit of a challenge dealing with the new environment of USB+DIN ports as represented in iConfig.

I confess that I subscribe to a comment I saw yesterday in the forum that was of the opinion that the grid routing interface of iConfig might not be the best way to represent the device i/o's and types attached to the ICM/ICA interfaces. The abstraction necessary to represent both USB and DIN devices in a similar fashion causes folks like me, who know how MIDI works but are used to each port representing in i/o cabling pair, to imagine problems where there aren't any, and to presume functionalities that won't work without explicit assignments. Ideally, as the commenter described, iConfig might better represent the attached hardware with a patchbay-style paradigm, maybe with a bit of menu-driven logic thrown in to provide feedback for problematic/illegal assignments, as with Reason and Apple's own Audio Midi Utility. While iConfig is certainly adequate to the task, the abstraction in the routing page's representation of attached hardware left me with as much speculation and "over-thinking" as it did answers.

And the link you gave me, MIDI Port Routing Is Really Easy, was great...but was focused on illustrating the connection between DAW instrument menus and the corresponding iConfig assignments. Useful for understanding those relationships, but not so much for someone with my setup without a fair amount of extrapolation and reading between the lines.

Has iConnectivity ever thought of providing a space for screen-grabs of different user configs and routings? A little library of how different setups are approached and routed would go a long way to providing clues for users on how iConfig and the ICM/ICA interfaces are actually being used in the real world.

Anyway, thanks for your help, Nick! Thanks to you, I think I've got enough of a handle on all this now to feel fairly confident I know what I'm doing. Tom
  • Glad you got it worked out. And I agree that it's confusing, but what makes it confusing is that the interface has full support for three computers + four more over the network + computer-to-computer audio and MIDI and USB MIDI Hosting and and and and and and. :)

Also, the connection between DAW instrument menus and corresponding iConfig assignments is identical to the DIN ones. The Source (left) side of the matrix is what's going into the interface, the Destination side is where MIDI headed for that 16-channel port is...destined.
  • Yes, that's clear. But for a setup that doesn't use a DAW (yet) it didn't directly address the routing question(s) I was having. (That's when I starting thinking about a repository of user setup examples. For instance, in stand-alone mode only my USB Host port (hosting 3 controllers attached to a hub) is used in addition to all 4 DIN ports...probably not a standard use-case)
  • Your suggestion is duly noted, Sir.