Firmware 2.02

Opened Iconfig and it is downloading Firmware 2.02 for my ICA4+

Couldn't see an announcement about it.

Is there any info - what's changed/fixed?

Comments

• Mods - feel free to close this.  I seen the details now, just hadn't seen an announcement about it.
  • Yeah, it's the weekend, give us a break ;-)
  • Weekend's over, and I still don't see any info on what this firmware update contains. Nothing in Important Announcements or elsewhere?

Losing my presets after the 2.0.x firmware upgrade, and then the fact the new Auracle software also ignores & overwrites current user settings has me very gunshy with updates from you guys. I'd like to see what's in this new firmware before I take more risks with my live performance setup.
  • The release notes were posted a few days ago, but here they are for you. Only very minor changes and fixes:

PA12

Version: 2.0.2
    Date: 2018-01-12

1. Fixed a problem where some units would not boot up properly after going into sleep mode.

Version: 2.0.1
    Version: 2.0.1b1
    Date: 2017-11-27

1. Changed factory default timeout for automatic failover from 8 to 16 microframes (for audio tone).
    2. Changed factory defaults for mixer configuration to match what Auracle wants.

iConnectAUDIO4+

Version: 2.0.2
    Date: 2018-01-12

1. Added support for hardware revision

Date: 2017-12-06

1. Changed the factory defaults for all audio configurations so that the first two audio channels from both USB device ports can be heard on all 6 outputs without having to fiddle with the mixer.
    2. The unit now boots up with all line out channels selected. Previously, the unit would boot up with headphone output selected.

• Thanks Rodney! I didn't manage to find the release notes anywhere else until you posted this. 

I searched around a bit more and found them in the downloads section on the main site (in case anyone else had the same trouble I did). Now I know where to look.

Thanks again
  • edited April 8
    Date: 2017-12-06

1. Changed the factory defaults for all audio configurations so that the first two audio channels from both USB device ports can be heard on all 6 outputs without having to fiddle with the mixer.

After updating to 2.03, I’ve decided I prefer the original default audio patch where none of the usb audio is piped to the stereo out by default. But I’m not sure how to reconfigure it so ONLY the audio channels being monitored can be heard. I prefer to hear actual mixed signal via monitoring, it’s easier to balance during takes. Now if I monitor at the same time, it sounds like a cave. Most USB interfaces get around this problem witn a hardware knob that lets you mix the post and pre signal, so you can dial out the direct signal. Since the ICA4+ can’t do that, its better for me to do it all via DAW. Could you post a diagram of how the original connections should look in the PATCHBAY? I had it figured out once, but reverted to the the “monitor only” solution when I realize there was no easy way to squelch the USB > Stereo Out direct signal (that bypasses the DAW). Hope it’s not too confusing to understand. Thank you. 

• edited April 8
    I will try resetting with an older preset file. Cross my fingers! EDIT: A preset I made going back to 2015, worked, so I won’t need the diagram after all. Thanks. I guess I need to do more homework... :(
  • Has the 48V phantom power been removed from memory? It won’t stick, so I have to turn it on very time I power up. In previous firmware, it stayed once I committed it to memory. (one push on knob). Is there a way of committing the phantom power setting to memory/preset? Thank you.
  • Has the 48V phantom power been removed from memory? It won’t stick, so I have to turn it on very time I power up.

Yes. That's an electrical safety issue. Phantom power should always be switched off by default on power up. Imagine you have a non-phantom safe mic and you plug it in without thinking then switch on your interface...
  • Most USB interfaces get around this problem witn a hardware knob that lets you mix the post and pre signal, so you can dial out the direct signal. Since the ICA4+ can’t do that, its better for me to do it all via DAW.

You can mix direct input signal with DAW monitored signal very easily using the Audio Mixer page in Auracle. Is that what you are trying to do?
  • edited April 9
    Hi Rodney, thank you for the follow up.

1/ I understand the issue with 48V, but I’m used to it being a hardware toggle so it wasn’t a problem for me. Is the pre v.2.02 firmware still available? IConfig seems to be able to load saved firmware, but I didn’t save any of the previous firmware. Is it a bad idea to revert?
    2/ Yes, I saw the direct/mix knob in Auracle, but I’m all IOS at this point and Auracle isn’t available in iOS yet. I also discuvered that Auracle reconfigures the ICA4+ on launch. Had to reconfigure with iConfig twice before I realized what was going on. 

Thanks!
  • 1/ I understand the issue with 48V, but I’m used to it being a hardware toggle so it wasn’t a problem for me. Is the pre v.2.02 firmware still available? IConfig seems to be able to load saved firmware, but I didn’t save any of the previous firmware. 

If you contact support they can supply earlier versions of firmware if you really need them. We don't put them on the website because we don't want to confuse people :-)

Is it a bad idea to revert?

Depends what you mean by "a bad idea". It won't harm your interface in any way, but you will lose any bug fixes etc. that we did in between. It's really your call.

I also discuvered that Auracle reconfigures the ICA4+ on launch. Had to reconfigure with iConfig twice before I realized what was going on. 

Yes, if you have changed your interface using iConfig Auracle has to put it back to its default state on launch in order to do its magic. Otherwise things get hopelessly confused. It's not a good idea to try to use both programs together.

We are hoping to do an iOS version of Auracle once we have most of the important features required done in the desktop version. We are a very small team, so that takes more time than we would ideally like :-(
  • edited April 10
    We are hoping to do an iOS version of Auracle once we have most of the important features required done in the desktop version. We are a very small team, so that takes more time than we would ideally like :-(
    I can see the puprpose of making Auracle more fool-proof, but there should be a way to disable the auto-reset! Please don’t orphan iConfig before Auracle can fill its enormous shoes. Thanks!
  • I can see the puprpose of making Auracle more fool-proof, but there should be a way to disable the auto-reset!

That's not possible. Auracle requires a reset in order to operate successfully, because iConfig is capable of creating weird setups that Auracle can't understand. That's why we recommend that people use one or the other, not both. For most users Auracle has all the capability they need, but for some power users they need the extra functions in iConfig. Take your pick.
  • Many thanks for your response. Sorry, but I thought I'd read somewhere in this forum that iConfig was being discontinued. If you do continue to develop iConfig (for iOS), please include an auto zeroing/detent feature so that users can zero the faders with a double tap, like Cubasis. The faders on iConfig are pretty awful, almost impossible to assign a specific numerical value unless you use a stylus. Important because it's the only way to control the device in lieu of missing hardware controls. 
  • iConfig is in End of Life status, and all of our development resources are going into Auracle going forward. However since Auracle can't yet access some of the more arcane features iConfig has, we are keeping both available for those who need it. For 95% of our users Auracle will already do everything they need. For the other 5% iConfig is still there until Auracle can take over
  • edited April 12
    I just hope Auracle gets the ability to save/load settings, since it can't work in tandem with iConfig to preserve complex settings. The manual suggests saving iConfig settings before launching Auracle, but what's the point if it all gets wiped the moment Auracle is launched?
  • rodney_iConnectivity said:
    For 95% of our users Auracle will already do everything they need. For the other 5% iConfig is still there until Auracle can take over
    Ok, then i'm out here. It's interesting and disappointing at the same time that a small but hopeful company hook their customers with a sophisticated MIDI solution and drops that after they discovered the problems. Another dead body on the shelf...

• kanegon said:
    I just hope Auracle gets the ability to save/load settings, since it can't work in tandem with iConfig to preserve complex settings.
    Auracle saves and loads its settings automatically to the interface without the user needing to do anything (similar to the way iOS apps work). 

The manual suggests saving iConfig settings before launching Auracle, but what's the point if it all gets wiped the moment Auracle is launched?

I'm not aware of that being in the manual. Where does it say that?

I reiterate what I said above, we strongly recommend that people use one or the other, not both. They operate on completely different principles and are not compatible with each other.
  • vaikl2 said:

Ok, then i'm out here. It's interesting and disappointing at the same time that a small but hopeful company hook their customers with a sophisticated MIDI solution and drops that after they discovered the problems. Another dead body on the shelf...

I'm not following the logic in this. We haven't taken anything away from anyone. iConfig is still available like it always has been. What we have done is added another possibility for the (many) people who find iConfig far too confusing. If you prefer iConfig, then just keep on using it like you did before.

Auracle will eventually be able to do most or all of the things that iConfig currently does (and more), and do them faster and easier. Until then, just use iConfig.
  • I'm not aware of that being in the manual. Where does it say that?
    "If you were previously using iConfig this process will delete your current settings! So please ensure that you use iConfig to save to hard drive any settings you wish to keep!"

So you do, but there's no way to actually carry those settings over.

• Auracle saves and loads its settings automatically to the interface without the user needing to do anything (similar to the way iOS apps work). 
    Sorry if I got this wrong, but does Auracle restart each time with the last setting used? I was referring to saving and loading settings files like iConfig. Don't see it, but it's presumably in the development pipe.
  • Auracle continually saves to the interface anything you do on it during a session. On re-opening it, it should read back any change you have made with Auracle. For example, if you reroute your direct MIDI connections, switch your audio channels from mono to stereo etc.

However it will simply overwrite changes made with iConfig, since it can't yet understand all of the more arcane power-user things that iConfig can do.

Auracle doesn't save or load anything to your hard drive, it effectively just uses your interface as its storage. At this early stage of development our priority is to make it do all the basic functions people need in a very rapid, simple, and stable way. As time goes on more functionality will be added. For example, we are planning to release Auracle 1.1 next week, which will add a couple of other useful functions that have been at the top of the list that our users have been asking for, namely DIN port renaming and USB-MIDI Host port reservation.
  • edited April 16

Auracle will eventually be able to do most or all of the things that iConfig currently does (and more), and do them faster and easier. Until then, just use iConfig.
    So this is the point where i can't follow *your* logic. In nearly all former statements about Auracle and it's possibilities it was made clear to us customers that Auracle won't do what iConfig do. No sophisticated routing capabilities, naming capabilities, consistent naming conventions, no filters etc. pp.

Now, what does "eventually" mean? 2 months, 2 years from now? Getting to a break even point in sales? I don't rely on products that have a "eventually" in their product sheet. And i was awaiting a rewritten iConfig app to solve all the questions about the MIDI routing mysterical, not a "we can't explain or change it, so let's make a dumb noob app" solution.
  • I have to agree with @vaikl2.   I understand aiming to create a more simple interface for folks who don't necessarily have more complex setups.  However - I have yet to see a definitive list of what (outside of stepping on iConfig settings?), Auracle does vs. iConfig.  Maybe I missed the post? It was mentioned, that it won't have the full functionality of iConfig, but I haven't seen what it is supposed to do/support.  I also had asked in another thread, if there was a list of what has been deprecated from iConfig in Auracle.  Sort of the same thing.. but to be more specific.. "What functions exist in iConfig, but are not available, nor planned to be available in Auracle?"  I was a little surprised to read above that development for iConfig is on EOL status?? 

How about a time / estimate?   Functionality that 'should be working', functionality that is broken - but being worked on, functionality that you will probably never get to, or fix - because a product is on life support.  If you could ask the development managers to provide a roadmap and estimates... it would probably go a long way towards helping alleviate some of us feeling like we've purchased abandon-ware. 

Thanks!

JDoo 
  • it was made clear to us customers that Auracle won't do what iConfig do. No sophisticated routing capabilities, naming capabilities, consistent naming conventions, no filters etc.

It doesn't do those things yet. That doesn't mean it won't ever. For example, version 1.1 is now in beta test, and it does do port renaming, so that's one of the things you mention already solved.

I'm also unsure what you mean when you mention "consistent naming conventions". Can you explain?

• I'm also unsure what you mean when you mention "consistent naming conventions". Can you explain?
    That was not an existing iConfig or planned Auracle feature, but more like a concept to solve many problems customers had and have with the namings of ports and their corresponding routing in iConfig.
    That also was discussed some months ago, i don't remember the thread or post. One of the probs discussed still is the length of generic port names, which lead to unreadable entries in many MIDI device configs where you can't scroll through a 50-char-line until you can see the last identifier numbers. Will Auracle solve this?
  • I'm sorry, I still am not following exactly what you mean. You're going to have to explain in more detail.

If this was discussed some time in the past it may have been before I joined the company (I've only been at iConnectivity for little over a year now).
  • Rodney, i scrolled thru my mails and found it - not in the forum here, sorry i was wrong, but in a longer discussion with Travis over a ticket regarding RTPMidi and *naming*. At the beginning of march he stated that Auracle's development is "still young" but the devs @iconnectivity are looking at renaming as an option.

My question still is: what could we expect from the future? A dead iConfig and a rudimental Auracle or a real development with features we are asking for?
  • Auracle is in development as we speak. We are hoping to have 1.1 out next week with DIN port renaming and USB Host Port reservation - we are testing it right now. 1.2 should follow shortly after with online firmware updating (as in iConfig). 1.3 is already planned for next month and that should contain an additional feature as well (but I'm not saying what until it's ready).

In general we are planning a new version of Auracle once a month for the rest of the year, so hopefully it will be considerably less rudimental by then :-)

And please don't press me for more detail than that. As I have said before, I don't want us to be one of those companies that over-promise and under-deliver.