How to integrate iConnectMIDI4+ & Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol, MacBook, VST, hardware etc

I recently got a NI KK and am loving it, but didn't realize there would be problems integrating it with my current MIDI setup run through my iConnect.  I read the page on the iConnect support site that says that the USB Host port is ONLY MIDI, so it doesn't pass through any other USB data that "smart controllers" use...  OK.  Not awesome, but it is what it is.

So my question is then... what DOES work?  I want my KK (and Logic, and my iPad and maybe even iPhone, and my hardware synths and drum machines) to be able to send and receive MIDI to each other; this is why I have the iConnect.  But if the USB host port breaks the smart features of my KK, that sorta defeats the purpose of the whole NI system.

Surely someone has solved this problem already?

Maybe I can just plug it into one of the iOS USB B ports on the front, since they presumably send ALL data and not just MIDI?

Comments

• If you have a MacBook then you can simply plug the KK directly into that. It can then access anything plugged into your interface, either via your DAW or via Apple Audio/MIDI Setup.
  • If you have a MacBook then you can simply plug the KK directly into that. It can then access anything plugged into your interface, either via your DAW or via Apple Audio/MIDI Setup.
    Ok, I was just hoping not to have to manage my MIDI routings from different places.

For the sake of argument, if I plug the KK into one of the front USB B ports designed for iPad etc, will the iCM4+ then be able to pass MIDI+audio+general data through to everything else?
  • if I plug the KK into one of the front USB B ports designed for iPad etc, will the iCM4+ then be able to pass MIDI+audio+general data through to everything else?

No. The KK isn't a USB Master device, so it won't do anything if you plug it in there. Only an actual computing device will. That's a limitation of how USB works.
  • Ah ok, makes sense.  Guess I'll have to just live with not having everything consolidated how I had hoped.  First world problems.  :D