Audio4+: Hardware versions / MIDI filters

I'm considering purchasing an Audio4+.
Before taking the plunge, there are two issues of concern:

1.  I just checked the update log for firmware on this unit. One thing I noticed was that there was an update for version 2 hardware. So:
     a.  What is the difference between version 2 hardware and earlier versions? (I can't find any reference to this on the iConnectivity site.)
     b.  How can I be sure that any unit I buy is the latest hardware? (This is of particular concern because I'd be buying in Japan and might be buying older stock. I do intend to buy a new unit rather than second-hand.)

2.  A significant reason for buying the Audio4+ is that my PreSonus AudioBox iTwo (which I use for performing live with sound apps on an iPad Air) has a MIDI problem with certain keyboards when they send MIDI time code. With certain keyboards (Korg N1, Yamaha CP33, but not my Yamaha KX88) this results in missed note ons, incorrect velocity transmission and stuck notes. I don't need MIDI time code (everything is played live with the band) so this is manageable with keyboards (Korg N1) which allow time code output to be disabled, but insurmountable with keyboards (like the Yamaha CP33) which don't allow this. (On the CP33 at my local rehearsal studio I'm forced to rely on my iRig MIDI interface, which works fine.)
     a.  Has anyone experienced this kind of problem with iC Audio4+?
     b.  Is it possible to block selected MIDI messages inside the Audio4+ so that they never reach the iPad?

Thanks in anticipation.
David.

Comments

• What is the difference between version 2 hardware and earlier versions?

The latest revision has phantom power protection on the outputs for live use, and has 4 inputs switchable between Instrument and Line level instead of two of each as on the original model. It can be recognised by the front panel having those switchable inputs, and also by the sticker on the bottom showing that it is rev B.

Is it possible to block selected MIDI messages inside the Audio4+ so that they never reach the iPad?

Usually yes. What keyboards send MTC? Are you sure you don't mean MIDI Clock, instead of MIDI Time Code?
  • Hi Rodney,
    Thanks for your response.

1.  Clearly the upgrades to rev.B hardware are well worth having. I'll try to check this with sellers here in Japan. My normal routes would be an on-line buy from either Yodobashi.com or SoundHouse, but any information you can provide about the distribution chain would be helpful. Is there a local distributor?

2.  Sorry for the use of imprecise terminology. After some research I understand the difference. I guess I'm talking about MIDI clock generated by keyboards here, but to be honest, what I'm seeing is a high volume of MIDI data independent of what I'm playing. (It does look too fast to just be active sensing, which I also get from my KX88 and has never seemed to cause any problems.)
    So, I guess my question is: Can I block MIDI Time Code inside the Audio4+ ? (I'm happy to lose active sensing and any other clock messages with it.)

Regards, David.
  • You could contact Media Integration, they are our Japanese distributor: http://www.minet.jp/

Can I block MIDI Time Code inside the Audio4+ ?

Yes, you can do that using our iConfig software.
  • Hi Rodney,
    I've been in touch with a couple of suppliers and found the following:
    One has units in stock (which they say were delivered to them last month), but these are the old version.
    The other has no stock and were told by the "maker", presumably Media Integration, that they are also out of stock, and not expecting further deliveries until next month.

1. Can we be sure that the next units delivered to Media Integration will be the latest hardware?

2. Can you give some more detail on the appearance of the latest units? (All the photos on your site, and the manual seem to show the old unit.)
    Are there physical switches on the front panel to select instrument/line level or is it just a labeling change?

Regards, David.
  • Next shipments will almost certainly be of the new version, but best check to be sure. There are no new physical switches, but the front panel labelling is different. It no longer has Inputs labelled separately as Instrument and Line.
  • So how do we select between instrument and line level?
    And do you think it acceptable to supply units which could be damaged if accidentally connected to a DI box with 48V phantom power turned on?
  • edited July 2018
    You select either via the front panel or via Auracle.

And do you think it acceptable to supply units which could be damaged if accidentally connected to a DI box with 48V phantom power turned on?

That depends on what you mean by "acceptable". That's how most audio interfaces from most manufacturers are, and that's apparently quite acceptable to the people who buy them. And if you are only using your interface in the studio, as most people are, then it's not going to be a problem.

However we know that more and more people (like yourself) have been using our stuff live, so we decided to go the extra distance and upgrade this interface to cater to those people (like yourself). We didn't have to do that, we could have done what most of the other guys do and just pretend that it's not important, but we'd rather make the best products we can for live users too.
  • Hi there. Is it clear from the package (without openning it), that is rev. B? I mean serial number, that must be above something or placed sticker somwhere on the package.
    Thanks for this fantastic device.
    Regards, Ales.