I understand iConfig is not quite maintained but....

Hi, sorry for flooding the forum so much, but I just got this box (iCM4+) and am setting up  (what turns out to be) a quite complicated live-rig and run into various issues.... I will not complain about the zillion times I have a "communication error" and I learned that when something should work and it doesn't, I must unplug the box from the power supply and then there's a fair chance I get unresponsive ports working again. Now that I am familiar with that, it doesn't matter that much as long as I don't lose ports while NOT editing which is the case so far. I just have a minor feature request, one never knows..... could it be possible to NOT have the left-side list of ports jump to the top whenever we change tabs (like going from port routing to port filters) and just remain focused on the port that was selected? AND leave a device port list collapsed instead of developing the whole list each time we change pages? When you basically work with the Device jack 3, the USB host ports, the Din ports and the Ethernet ports, it's really annoying because these are all down below. This is on up-to-date Windows10.

Sorry....and thanks for everything
Have a nice day!

PS I insist on iConfig because I bought the box for the advanced routing and filtering which I use extensively, and Auracle doesn't give access to what I need (yet).

Comments

• There won't be any new update to iConfig (sorry). All of our software development efforts are being put into Auracle right now. We are hoping to have MIDI filtering and remapping in there soon.

I'm not sure what you mean by "advanced routing" - Auracle already has as much routing capability that iConfig has (it just looks a lot simpler).
  • I actually said "advanced routing and filtering". Is there a risk of losing all the work I did in iConfig by trying out Auracle once more? For instance,  I need to filter everything but real time events on the input of one particular port, and block real-time events on many others (because of clock loops, not only my synths and sequencers don't like them but I also noticed that most of the issues needing a cold restart of the iCM4+ come from clock loops probably causing buffer overflows). I didn't see anything like it, but then again, Auracle asked me for a DAW, I don't have one, then 3 clicks further on it said "you're ready to go" and that was it. I just uninstalled it, I want to know exactly who talks to who and need to be able to check a routing matrix. If there's no risk of losing my work I am willing to give it another try, of course. 
  • There won't be any new update to iConfig (sorry).
    If this is the last word on IC, then you'll lose customers - add me to dirk, because i was hoping to get more sophisticated features with Auracle. I haven't worked with Auracle for the last six months (or so). The actual UI, which should reflect functionality, is looking good, but disappointing in nearly all aspects for users with higher claims.

Maybe you should take a look at the new ESI MxU ex-devices and their absolutely simple approach which eliminates the In/Out separation scheme for MIDI ports.
  • I am also very concerned about this transition between iConfig and Auracle; it sounds like the former is deprecated while the latter is still beta, and therefore neither are stable right now in terms of features. I have a very complex mio10 setup in my live rig, and I currently rely on iConfig to manage it. When I downloaded Auracle and first launched the application to connect, a popup message told me that I would lose some settings from iConfig that weren't supported by Auracle, so I naturally canceled.

So my question: how should mio10 "power users" migrate from iConfig to Auracle without breaking anything? Ideally it would be best to continue supporting iConfig until Auracle is mature enough to ensure a safe, lossless migration for all users. 
  • keithw99 said:

So my question: how should mio10 "power users" migrate from iConfig to Auracle without breaking anything? Ideally it would be best to continue supporting iConfig until Auracle is mature enough to ensure a safe, lossless migration for all users.

Same here for iCM4+, I have put a substantial amount of time in the conception of my rig since I bought this box a month ago,using each and every option (needing even more),  and do not understand that policy as a customer.

iConfig is not so stable but at least offers complete and comprehensible acces to everything the boxes are advertised for, and Auracle is still in alpha stage AFAIC. I'm willing to support and understand smaller businesses, I have always done so, having spent years as betatester and freeware coder for various audio and midi-related enterprises and know how that goes, and I'm a  bit upset I must admit because in short, what I actually bought when I placed my order were the iConfig features and now I'm being told that it was ready declared unsupported. That is not correct, I'm not an investor but a customer!

• If this is the last word on IC, then you'll lose customers

We obviously don't want to lose customers, but it is  the last word on iConfig. While it is true that Auracle still doesn't do some things that iConfig does, we hope to change that over the next weeks and months. And Auracle already does some things that iConfig simply cannot do (such as the new RTP-MIDI Manager).

One issue that I've seen a lot over the past couple of months is people looking at Auracle and seeing that it looks really simple, and assuming that means it does a lot less. That's actually not true in a lot of cases - it's just that Auracle does things in a much faster and more logical manner and doesn't bother to show you stuff that you don't need in your setup. For example, a lot of people still seem to think that Auracle has less MIDI routing possibilities than iConfig, when in fact it has exactly the same.

We will be adding more features you guys need over the next months - I can't give you an exact timeline, because software development simply doesn't work like that, but you will see things being continually added. Since we started Auracle development we have released a new version pretty much once every month, and we intend to keep that up going forward until it does everything it needs to.
  • "I can't give you an exact timeline, because software development simply doesn't work like that, "...

Sorry to pile on, Rodney -- but (good) software development actually *does* work like that.  Seasoned  development teams publish roadmaps with timelines, and expected features.  The timelines don't need to be 'exact' .. but a roadmap with targeted dates, is fairly common in software development.  Then keep  customers informed of schedule slips, etc.   Folks can be pretty forgiving of schedule slips, if they know what is coming, and when.

Leaving folks with complex routing requirements stranded, with no updates, and no roadmap or commitment in place, is less than optimal.  Maybe some stuff has been fixed, since I tried Auracle.. and spent the better part of a week, testing, finding out it fell short of what I had with iConfig (and needed), then having to re-do everything in iConfig.  I am hesitant to try again, without knowing what has been fixed, what is outstanding, and what is coming.  (a roadmap)
  • it's just that Auracle does things in a much faster and more logical manner and doesn't bother to show you stuff that you don't need in your setup.

*You* are declaring what your customers need or don't need in their setup? Have i understood it correct???

Auracle even shows *nothing* what i need, especially the not-so-practical long char port naming (which you wanted to make a bit more user- and app-friendly some months ago)  or - because i was just running into a non-connecting ICM - the network settings. RTPMidiManager, oh yeah, telling me that no ICM couldn't be found on my lan - which is rubbish because AudioMidiSetup can see it clearly with all ports.

Briefly spoken: at the moment Auracle can't do anything for my needs, but maybe i'm not the kind of peaceful customer that your company is seeking for your "underestimated" products. You have lost one customer now.

• I do agree with the statement that I don't want anyone to decide what I need and don't need. That's absolutely up to me to decide, sorry your customers are mostly very creative people, and quite technically advanced, that's the very reason they invested in your products, at least I am and I did. If you want to expand on a amateur enthousiast market needing a plug-and-play "3 clicks away from making music" and good-looking, understandable without any particular knowledge, then by all means design a entry-level product for that market. 

I can understand that you might be not so happy with the complaints you are getting these days. Please consider that you built a super-good looking website where you advertise being top-of-the line ultra-professional, and that's what brought us here. Please live up to the advertising. Et least, maintain the current software until the next gen is finished coding, alpha-testing, beta-testing, public beta pre-released, and released. There are bug-reports and incompatibility issues, please fix them. "A couple of months" is a long time and this is only a connection interface. I want to get to work and forget about it. If my Eventide gear doesn't work with the midi interface, I will change the interface, not several 1000's $ worth of pro-grade gear I spent months upon to create custom presets .

• it's just that Auracle does things in a much faster and more logical manner and doesn't bother to show you stuff that you don't need in your setup.

*You* are declaring what your customers need or don't need in their setup? Have i understood it correct??? 

No, AURACLE declares what you need. For example, if you don't have something plugged into a virtual USB-MIDI port, then Auracle doesn't show you that port. iConfig does show you all those ports, even though they are 100% useless to you. That's the difference.
  • I wanna see all the USB MIDI ports that i had defined with my naming conventions because *your* naming convention still sucks, especially on IOS. If Auracle thinks that this is "useless" - ok, that's all what i wanted to know to leave this place.

• No, AURACLE declares what you need. For example, if you don't have something plugged into a virtual USB-MIDI port, then Auracle doesn't show you that port. iConfig does show you all those ports, even though they are 100% useless to you. That's the difference.
    I really don't get the point. I want to see ALL the ports. Even if there's nothing plugged into it. I want to see the whole matrix. That's how I work, that's my workflow. An unused port is NOT 100% useless. It can become 100% useful in one click if decide so. Not seeing all of the matrix means that I need to think even more to visualise my options.

I asked you a question a few days ago: if I now fire up Auracle, will I lose all the work I did in iConfig? (Considering I used all of the potential of the box, filtering and remapping included (I gave up on the audio-through because it needed Asio4All to get the audio out to the mixer and that wasn't stable).
  • I get that. But on the other hand, many users are really confused by a huge matrix where they are given the options to route things to and from a bunch of ports that do nothing at all.

I guess you just can't please everybody :-)
  • But you never answer my question: can I run the current Auracle "just to see what it does" now that I have my rig fully configured, WITHOUT LOSING MY WORK?
  • Save your preset in iConfig, then if you don't like how Auracle does things, just open up iConfig and load your preset back. Simple.
  • rodney_iConnectivity: Why not please 'amateurs' and 'professionals' by giving them an option in Auracle to show ONLY THE CONNECTED ports or ALL ports?

And please provide a serious video tutorial about what Auracle can do for a (semi)pro musician with a iConnectAudio4+ and a PC/Mac + iPad (or other PC/Mac) and some audio- and midi-gear... I found only one YT-video from 9 months ago that is obviously aimed at children! ('Wow, we hear sound from our speakers!' (lol).

And - like @dirk asked - can I run the current Auracle "just to see what it does" now that I have my rig fully configured, WITHOUT LOSING MY WORK? 
  • rodney_iConnectivity: Why not please 'amateurs' and 'professionals' by giving them an option in Auracle to show ONLY THE CONNECTED ports or ALL ports?

We have considered that and it may come in a future version.

And - like @dirk asked

See my answer to him above.
  • rodney_iConnectivity: Why not please 'amateurs' and 'professionals' by giving them an option in Auracle to show ONLY THE CONNECTED ports or ALL ports?

We have considered that and it may come in a future version.

Yes please. I had something that was not working today, so I lauched iConfig and immediately saw that something was NOT connected. That's why I need to see unused ports. I just cannot imagine working in another fashion.

I don't need any divinity to tell me what I need. (Ok I will stop here on the subject for a while and live with the bugs and squirks in iConfig but well having bought this item new I thought it was current and maintained. It's just not fair business: you sell  a device that advertises a list of fonctionalities, but the software to acces them is declared obsolete and unsupported: up to us to wait and pray something will happen in the future, but you claim changing the workflow to suit another type of customer, there's no roadmap and the preview releases (that IS what they are) are dissapointing and very limited. That's not correct, I insist. )