Configuring RTP midi in windows user not explained, only Mac OS

edited November 20 in MIDI
Been trying to config RTP midi with no success in windows 7 and windows 10. unfortunately on the FAQ the explanation is done only on Mac OS which is pretty useless for us windows user.

I have 4 machines, one about to be retired Mac Pro (apple has screwed me for the last time) and 3 DELL T3600 PC workstations. Not all of us are using apple OS and I find that almost all tutorials are done only for MAC users.

please correct this.

Comments

• If you install our Windows RTP-MIDI software it looks and works exactly like the Mac OS version. Nevertheless, you are right, we need to update our explanation for Windows users.

https://www.iconnectivity.com/windows-drivers
  • Updated now. Thanks for pointing that out!
  • edited November 20
    You have amazing products with very high potential, but for many it is bewildering. My config idea is pretty simple , I have 3 workstations all connected thru a 10 gigabit network (also using VSL host) yes its very fast. almost no latency.

I have one midi4+ for now connected to that network also , more will come if config works.

One side of the studio is a wall of gear, 15 synths, modules and step sequencers. I placed the midi4+ close to that rack.

from what I understand kinda, Id like to send midi from all 3 machines running ableton live to the midi4+ and then route the various outs DINs after. but I can only see the midi4+ when connected thru USB to the master machine using auracle 1.3.3  also updated the firmware to latest.

is this possible ?
  •  a 10 gigabit network (also using VSL host) yes its very fast. almost no latency.

Note that it doesn't matter what the bandwidth of your network is, the latency will be the same - even a 10BaseT network will give you the same performance. Network bandwidth and network speed are two different things (even though people confuse them all the time).

Id like to send midi from all 3 machines running ableton live to the midi4+

Yes, this should be possible.

I can only see the midi4+ when connected thru USB to the master machine

Have you made a connection to it via the rtpMIDI application first?
  • thank U for your reply, you have great customer service. The network specs were merely explained to eliminate that part of the puzzle :)   Yes I have made the connection via ethernet to the Midi4+ , I can see 4 ICM4-DAB connections in RTP midi app on the master machine and on the other machines also.
  • My next question is that can I use the same ICM-DAB-01 session for all the machines ? essentially I only need one Din Midi port on the Midi4+ for now using 16 midi channels and maybe a iPad connected Via the USB/lightning cable.

And finally can I sync the master with the other machines ?
  • Did some testing today, tried opening a session on the 2 Slave computer I have with RTP midi installed using session
    ICM-DAB-02 on port 2006

what I get as a result is  on the right side is ??? were the latency is supposed to be and then soon after it says" cannot answer connection request "

The master machine works perfect on session  ICM-DAB-01 port 2004 , routed it thru Ableton, connected a synth and midi works perfect.

• My next question is that can I use the same ICM-DAB-01 session for all the machines ?

No. An RTP port can have only 2 endpoints (like a virtual cable). So 1 computer to 1 interface. You need a second RTP port for a second computer.

tried opening a session on the 2 Slave computer I have with RTP midi installed using session 
    ICM-DAB-02 on port 2006

I assume you mean port 5006?

what I get as a result is  on the right side is ??? were the latency is supposed to be and then soon after it says" cannot answer connection request "

That's pretty weird, it should work. Check that you have the port numbers correct. Maybe try rebooting the interface.

• edited November 21
    on the master computer I used ICM-DAB-01 on port 5004

on the slave computer I used ICM-DAB-02 on port 5006, and still get the " cannot answer connection request "

• Try port 3 or 4 instead, see what happens. If it still doesn't work, send in a support ticket and we will try to figure out what's going on.
  • After multiple configs and resetting the entire network. still no luck connecting with the slave machines to the midi4+ with RTP midi

On the master computer I can login to the main router and see my LAN perfectly and the IP of each device connected,The midi4+ doesn't seem to have a name but simply a MAC address. Since I know what's its IP when receiving the
    " cannot answer connection request " from IP 192.168.1.XXXX . its clearly the midi4+ denying an answer.

Since my network is offline and has always be there is no virus or malaware that can cause issues, I deactivated all windows firewalls also.

• Well low and behold I found the problem , the windows firewall on the slave computer had somehow reset it self and was blocking RTP midi. Deactivated it and now it works perfect.
  • edited November 23
    The sync between computer works and for sending midi to the same port on the Midi4+ , I simply routed the slave computers midi out in RTP Midi towards the Master Computer on a midi channel in ableton and assign it to any output I want.

Its genius. Now if Ableton could fix the latency issue withing the program.
  • Great to hear! Good to know about the firewall problem, I will add that tip to the Knowledge Base article.

Its genius. 

Isn't it just? Once you have used RTP-MIDI there's just no going back to the old way, it's so so good.