Super confused. Trying to connect ICA4+ USB Hub Midi Devices to my Mac USB Midi Devices...

Hi,

Can't seem to figure this setup out, and perhaps I'm not thinking about things the right way. I want the midi devices connected to my ICA4+ to be able to talk to devices connected to a USB port on my MacBook Pro, and devices connected to those devices via DIN cables.

Here is a drawing that shows the situation.

I've tried to make the ports talk in ICA4 Midi Control, but the devices connected to the Mac really aren't assigned to anything... Is Audio MIDI Studio configuration required on the Mac to do this?

If anyone can help clear this up I will be eternally grateful.

mark

Comments

• You'll need a intermediary software running on the mac to interconnect the different universes. The iCM4 and all that is directly connected to it is one universe, the devices directly connected to the macbbook are a universe each. I am not familiar with the apple ecosystem, so I cannot recommend a specific software here. Most DAW's are capable of matrix routing between all the ports they can open, but depending on what you are planning to do these maybe be overkill for the task. I myself use LiveProfessor (http://audiostrom.com/) on Windows but they have a OSX offering too. It does all I need in terms of midi and audio patching, hosting plugins, midi filtering and translation, cue recall. I recommend it if you're looking for a live-oriented workstation (it doesn't record anything, no timeline)

hope this helps
    Dirk

• When I see people building these elaborate pseudo-networks by daisy-chaining loads of interfaces my first thought is "use RTP-MIDI over Ethernet". That's what I do and it's soooo much better. Just make a real network :-)
  • Maybe I will one day. I tried, it was not reliable (all the communication errors and "device not found" stuff you can't afford when you're working with a crew/band/team) and needs a router/switch (yet another device). We end up using "loads of interfaces" whichever way you look at it. It happens the OP uses a Mio, which is a iConnectivity IF so maybe that would work over RTPMidi without using a router/switch?
  • Thanks Dirk, you set me on the right path. I found this 10 year old program which does exactly what I was looking for!

http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/

regards,

mark
  •  it was not reliable (all the communication errors and "device not found" stuff you can't afford when you're working with a crew/band/team)

Then there's something seriously wrong in your setup. We have many major touring acts running our interfaces with Ethernet right now without any problems. I would consider it much more reliable than USB.

needs a router/switch 

Yes, that makes it more reliable in a multi-device setup, not less, because you have a star configuration running through a stable hardware switch. Modern Ethernet routers are extremely cheap and extremely reliable.

Of course, you are free to have whatever setup you want, but for other people reading this I need to set the record straight: RTP-MIDI over Ethernet is the most reliable MIDI you will ever get.

• Of course, you are free to have whatever setup you want, but for other people reading this I need to set the record straight: RTP-MIDI over Ethernet is the most reliable MIDI you will ever get.
    But you still need USB or DIN to connect external devices to the interface. Let me get this straight too: I'm working with hardware devices, I might use a softsynth every once in a while but am working on it so I can do without in the near future. So midi-over-ethernet is probably super-cool to interconnect software-only universes, but hardware only universes don't benefit much. And once configured (with all the difficulties I have explained in these support forums) , I have no issues with a iConnectivity interface:it works fine. I now think I made the wrong purchase: I  just need a highly configurable midi interface with filters and merging with a  very stable, extensive and reliable configuration utility, and don't use or need no audio or midi routing between different computers. And I have have never encountered anything more reliable than good old DIN MIDI (I was the proud owner of the very 1st avalable MIDI interface for a computer way back in 1983 (from Sequential Circuits: it plugged into a Commodore 64) and I have never had an issue ever since: I even still use midi cables from those days, they were made with high quality copper, solder and connectors, made to last and they did. So sorry for all the rants. I should have known better: less is more!
  • edited December 9
    So midi-over-ethernet is probably super-cool to interconnect software-only universes, but hardware only universes don't benefit much. 

We have lots of pro musicians touring right now who would disagree strongly with that. One huge advantage (especially on stage) is no limitation on cable length, which is a limitation you absolutely get with DIN and even more so with USB. And the vast majority of them are using a combination of hardware synths and controllers and software synths and DAWs.

I completely respect your option FOR YOU, but please don't characterise your experience as some sort of universal rule for everyone. That's not helpful for other people who may be looking for a solution FOR THEM.
  • I do not "characterise your experience as some sort of universal rule for everyone" by writing the phrase you quoted, and I'm a pro musician touring since 1979, pioneering in midi since 1983 as I mentioned before, as well as a (retired) VST coder, 20 years of experience as a betatester for pro-audio software, author of several user manuals in the same domain, currently working as a FOH sound engineer for a major entertainment company here in the south of France and I don't understand the finality of this conversation. I said I made a mistake buying this interface, which means exactly what it says so I'm totally assuming MY OWN MISTAKE, right? I've been waiting for over a month now for a reply on the support ticket I filed because you told me to do so, and am still struggling daily with the same issues. I come here daily to see if there's any news so I can move on and forget about this less-than-fluent user experience because of dropped support for the configuration software selling a uncomplete version of the next one (Auracle) instead, and I try to be helpful to fellow users while I'm here. Instead of being judgemental, please be kind to your customers. I'll be gone soon, don't worry about that. As soon as either you provide a solution to my problem, or when I get tired of all this and buy a MOTU or whatever.