Add a little colour or warmth to the Audio4+ preamps for recording vocals

Hi everyone,

Do you have any advice for a newby as to the best settings to use on the Audio4+ for recording vocals using a Neumann TLM 103 please?

I would normally aim to get as much signal into the Audio4+ as possible without clipping the artist at their maximum performance volume.

Is there a way to drive the Audio4+ preamps to add 'a little colour' or warmth to the vocals in the same way you might buy a dedicated Neve clone preamp to add colour to vocals?

Thanks in advance.

Mick

Comments

• Is there a way to drive the Audio4+ preamps to add 'a little colour' or warmth to the vocals in the same way you might buy a dedicated Neve clone preamp to add colour to vocals?

No, that's a very bad idea, because you would clip the A/D converter and the result would be pretty horrible. You could simply add another preamp in front of the input and drive that instead.

Or add a tube emulation plugin to the track in your DAW later - that's what I do. Softube's Saturation Knob is free and sounds really good in a mix. I highly recommend trying it.

https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=satknob
  • Thanks Rodney. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I did try to install the Saturation Knob plugin, but in the end I could not get Logic to recognise it. Thank you for the advice anyway - it was definitely worth a try!!

Logic Pro X has a couple of new Vintage EQs so I'll give them a go, until I can grab a hardware preamp.

Cheers
  • That's odd. Make sure you install the Audio Unit version, since Logic (stupidly) does not recognise VST plugins.
  • It's a little unusual for a beginner to start with such an expensive microphone, but I'm sure you have your reasons for landing on that mic. You should take a look at this page to get an idea for how others are using this mic and with what preamps:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/674381-neumann-tlm-103-a.html

The iConnectivity preamps are really good for the price, but they're not in the same category as your mic, so you'll definitely see a big jump in quality by using a better outboard preamp before they hit the Audio4+.  This would mean less tweaking in the computer and it would be easier for you to get the signal to arrive in a close-to-final state.  Search youtube for "preamp comparison" and you can hear a lot of the different options for yourself.

HOWEVER, given that you're a beginner I'd strongly recommend that you spend your time with what you already have and don't jump on another big purchase before you start to understand where you are and where you want to be.  It will be tempting over time to add more, and there is no end to the number of people online that will tell you what to buy next :smile: