Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using two iOS devices at the same time with ICA4+?

JolJol
edited February 5 in Audio
Hi all.  I found through a lot of trial and error that I can only use my iPad mini 2 and my iPhone 8+ at the same time if one of them is using the camera connection kit to boost the power (rather than the additional ICA USB cable I bought).  Otherwise, regardless of which order I connect the devices in USB 1 and 2, one of them will stop working after a few minutes.  It's like the power rating from the USB ports is not as much as it says it is.  One device will consistently stop charging and loose connection to the ICA4.

Is anyone using two iOS devices trouble free?

I know that both devices trickle charge on a small iPhone 1 amp charger, so in theory the power from the ICA USB ports should be enough.  

Comments

• You cannot use two iConnectivity Lightning cables at once. You must use an Apple CCK for the second iOS device.
  • Hello!  New user here and just wanted a clarification: I'm planning on running my iPad into ICA4+ using the included iConnectivity Lightning cable.  I'd also like to connect my iPhone 7+ into a powered hub using the Lightning to USB-A cable from Apple.  (the hub then going into the USB Host port on the ICA4+.

Will the 7+ work in this configuration?  Will it be able to to take advantage of Audio PassThru in addition to MIDI send/receive?  I'm really unclear, actually, as to under what conditions Audio PassThru works.

Tnx
  • I'd also like to connect my iPhone 7+ into a powered hub using the Lightning to USB-A cable from Apple.  (the hub then going into the USB Host port on the ICA4+.

This is impossible. You can only connect a iOS device to one of the USB-B ports on the interface. The USB-MIDI Host port is only for hosting class-compliant MIDI hardware units.

• You cannot use two iConnectivity Lightning cables at once. You must use an Apple CCK for the second iOS device.
    What?  So the last 2 years I've been using 2 iPads with my ICA4+ with 2 iConnectivity lightning cables to 2 iPads with my live rig has been all in my mind? 
  • Jol said:
    Hi all.  I found through a lot of trial and error that I can only use my iPad mini 2 and my iPhone 8+ at the same time if one of them is using the camera connection kit to boost the power (rather than the additional ICA USB cable I bought).  Otherwise, regardless of which order I connect the devices in USB 1 and 2, one of them will stop working after a few minutes.  It's like the power rating from the USB ports is not as much as it says it is.  One device will consistently stop charging and loose connection to the ICA4.

Is anyone using two iOS devices trouble free?

I know that both devices trickle charge on a small iPhone 1 amp charger, so in theory the power from the ICA USB ports should be enough.  
    I've been using 2 iPads with my ICA4+ with 2 lightning cables for the last 2 years. Pretty much trouble free.  One is an iPad mini4, the other has been an iPad mini 2.  
  • That's not officially supported, but if it's working I'm not going to argue :-)
  • That's not officially supported, but if it's working I'm not going to argue :-)
     :) So when you say 'not officially supported - why not? What potentially causes issues with 2 ios devices?

• Yeah, the second port might not push enough power for someone's iOS device. But like I say, if it works for you, great! We just don't want to promise someone that it should work and then it ends up not.