Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoftStep Foot Controller Setup?

I'm trying to integrate my SoftStep foot controller into the iCA4+ workflow and cannot seem to figure it out.  When I plug the SS into a USB port on the MacBook, all is well so I know it's working.  But everything I try in terms of ports/routing on the ICA4+ isn't working.  Ableton was certainly reading a MIDI receive signal, but now - as a result of my fiddling - even that has stopped, lol.  The problem is that the foot controller won't connect to its software.  Any help would be appreciated!  Tnx

Comments

• Well....it's not on any of the lists, lol.  I was hoping for a little assistance from you guys to see if we can figure it out.  No worries....I've yanked the USB Hub from the ICA4+ USB Host port and just plugged into my MacBook direct.  For my workflow I'm not seeing the advantage of that Host Port, and the MIDI flow is just too confusing.
  • It probably won't work because it might not be fully class compliant.
  • landrvr1 said:
    Well....it's not on any of the lists, lol.  I was hoping for a little assistance from you guys to see if we can figure it out.  No worries....I've yanked the USB Hub from the ICA4+ USB Host port and just plugged into my MacBook direct.  For my workflow I'm not seeing the advantage of that Host Port, and the MIDI flow is just too confusing.
    The SoftStep (as well as all KMI products) are class compliant and work fine with the ICA4+.  I've used both the SoftStep 1 and 2 for a long time with it and they both connect up just fine, so I can absolutely confirm compatibility.  

I agree the MIDI routing can be a little daunting and it's easy to turn something off and lose all connectivity to a device.  I think you want to start by validating the connection of your SoftStep with the interface in iConfig on your laptop (I don't think you can see this information from iOS), by going to the MIDI info page, scrolling down to the Port Information and look for the SoftStep as a connected device.  If you see it, I'd suggest assigning it to one of the 'Reserved' HST connections so you can keep it's connection consistent upon future reconnects to the ICA4. If you don't see it as a connected device, you more than likely have a hub problem.

Here's a good video that explains setting up the Midi connections on the ICA4. You can see the detected devices at around the 2:00 point:

I wish iConfig would allow for some basic midi activity monitors while you're in the software, so you can validate midi activity on the various ports.  It would make iConfig infinitely better when it comes to troubleshooting connection issues.

• Hey cstoize thanks for the reply.  Well, I've done another attempt at routing but no luck.  

First up, it appears as though the SoftStep SSCOM is being read by the Host Jack in ports 1 and 2

My routing attempts haven't allowed the SoftStep editing software to connect to the hardware:

Here's my routing, starting with the HST1 port on Host Jack

Then HST2

I've done quite well with the audio routing, but MIDI?  Not so much, lol.  Device Jack 2, my MacBook, I've got the same routing as HST1 and 2.  Didn't do a screenshot for that.

Would love your thoughts on this!  Tnx again.
  • I think the first thing I should mention is that you shouldn't expect to access the SoftStep editor while it's going through the ICA4+.  I'm pretty sure KMI product editors will only work properly when the product is plugged directly into the computer with the editor.  I would always edit from the computer, then run from the ICA4+ for my use (live rig using primarily iPads, no laptop).

So - it looks like you have connectivity. My guess is that it's working if you send a midi signal from the SoftStep to another device connected to the ICA4.  Test with some sort of Midi monitor if you can, so you can verify signal from the SS. Once you confirm that, try your editor test again, just to see, but I still don't think it will work.
  • Heh, cool.  I'm going to test this out later today and report back!  Tnx man.