Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutorial: iPad + Audiobus3 + Ableton Live (fun with routing & sends!)

Greetings all.  Been enjoying this forum and learning a lot.  I recently saw this excellent tutorial from Anders Steele (lorddiagram) right here in the Audio section:

I've been struggling trying to figure out some more complex routing with iOS, and Ander's tutorial started me thinking in a different way.  The challenge was to try and get very specific audio multi-channel routing from Ableton into Audiobus3 on the iPad, and then back into Ableton.  Since Audiobus3 recently added multi-channel output, I figured this was possible but I couldn't get it to work until I cracked open the iConfig software and set some new Audio Patchbay routings.  Now it works perfectly, so here's a step-by-step:

First thing to do is open up all the audio input/output channels in Ableton's prefs.  You might not need all this channels, and you can always turn off the ones you won't use.   I'll be using channels 3/4 and 7/8, but you could easily add 5/6 as well.  Generally speaking, channels 1/2 are going to be used for your master output to speakers/PA/etc so those aren't part of this setup.

There's a lot of routing possibilities, but I'll focus on one that relies on Sends/Return Tracks to get an enormous level of flexibility between your wet and dry sounds. 

My example set has 4 tracks:
The first two hold clips and the audio is being routed to Sends Only.
The next two tracks are bringing the audio back into Ableton from the iPad.  These never need adjusting and could be grouped to gain more space.  You could also put dummy clips into these tracks and have fun with volume gate envelopes, effects with automation, etc..!

Return Tracks
A & B Returns are simply for reverb and delay, nothing to do with our tutorial.
C & D Returns are taking the audio from our first two tracks with clips, and sending those to the iPad; one send uses Ch 3/4 and the other uses Ch 7/8.
E Return is a critical element because it's for our 'dry' audio.

What you get at the end of this is a great way to blend your wet and dry iPad routed effects on a per track basis; just by increasing/decreasing the C, D, and E sends.

Jumping over to Audiobus on the iPad, I've set up two lanes; one receives the audio from 3/4 and processes it through apeDelay, and the other takes the audio from 7/8 and sends it through Amplitube.  Just tap on the input and output nodes of Audiobus and all the iConnectAUDIO4+ channels are listed!  Woot!

The routing in the Audio Patchbay of iConfig is where the magic happens.  I've eliminated any default Ch 1/2 routing between the iPad and Mac because it's not required, and simply connected Ch 3/4 and Ch 7/8 between the two devices.  Again, you could also get Ch 5/6 going as well but I've left it off for now.

I hope this proves useful!