Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Can I expand the iCm4+?

edited April 23 in MIDI
Hi there,

my iCM4+ is almost full, but it's possible (probable...) that I'll add some more midi equipment to my rig in the near future. What are my options? This is a a DAW-less, live environment. I use iConfig on iOS (non-negociable). For my current application I don't need the Audio pass-though feature nor the ethernet midi unless this helps to seamlessly integrate the ports from a second interface. Thanks!

Comments

• You can plug another iConnectivity MIDI interface, like a mio2 or mio4, into the MIDI4_ USB-MIDI Host port.
  • edited April 23
    Great! So the ports of the second device will show up in iConfig, and I will be able to route from a iCM4+ port to a mio4 port (using filtering if needed?)
    EDIT: subsidiary question: the price difference not being a major hurdle, would you recommend another iCM4+ or a does a mio4 exactly the same, midi-wise? And third one (sorry!): so I can plug in the second interface in a host port of the 1st one, but how about ethernet? Using a router, do I need a computer in between? And if that works without a computer, are there advantages/caveats using one method (usb) over the other (ethernet)?
  • Hmmmm, took a look at the manual (should have done so before asking, apologies...) but ethernet doesn't seem to be the solution. As for USB, one thingy remains unclear to me: I already have 6 devices connected using a 7 port-hub. So can I just plug in another iConnectivity interface and have all it's ports and functionalities available, or am I restricted to the 8-port capacity of the iCM4+ host port?

• edited April 24
    dirk said:
     As for USB, one thingy remains unclear to me: I already have 6 devices connected using a 7 port-hub. So can I just plug in another iConnectivity interface and have all it's ports and functionalities available, or am I restricted to the 8-port capacity of the iCM4+ host port?

Never mind my second post, but I'm about to place an order and just need to be sure of this before proceeding....thanks!
  • You should have all of the capacity of both interfaces.
  • Hmmmm, took a look at the manual (should have done so before asking, apologies...) but ethernet doesn't seem to be the solution. 

In my opinion, Ethernet is almost always the best solution :-)
  • Hmmmm, took a look at the manual (should have done so before asking, apologies...) but ethernet doesn't seem to be the solution. 

In my opinion, Ethernet is almost always the best solution :-)
    Even in a DAWless configuration? Doesn't ethernet just present 1 port of 16 channels? I need all my ports from both interfaces to be able to communicate with eachother. I need all those ports because most of my devices use all 16 midi channels. It's not like just setting up a device on each channel, it's 1 device per port.
  • Each of our interfaces has 4 virtual ports of 16 channels each over Ethernet. 
  • edited April 24
    OK thanks, I think I'll order a second iCM4+ then.