Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RTP MIDI Setup Question (PA12, MIDI4+, Mio4)

Hi Everyone,

Love the iConnectivity stuff and I've been using the MIDI4+ connected to the PA12 via USB Host for Audio / Midi Failover. We then run 50' (sometimes 100', and it's worked out so far) midi cables from the MIDI4+ to reach various equipment on stage with some Mergers / Thru boxes in between. It's been rock solid but now we need longer than 50' MIDI runs. 

I want to try to expand to midi over ethernet now that Auracle has a graphical interface. Previously configuring RTP midi was over my head.

I was wondering if you could take a look at my MIDI diagram and see if there are any potential issues with the proposed setup or if you see a more streamlined way of doing this setup. What I'm most confused about is the 4 port limit over RTP midi and if that just applies per Midi device (In this case Mio4 & MIDI4+) or if thats for the total network. 

For example — In the setup below will the PA12 / Ableton receive more than 4 ports of midi thru ethernet from the switch or is there a bottle neck of 4 MIDI Ports at the PA12? The reason I need the MIDI to funnel into the PA12 is for the MIDI Failover since the computers are both sending and receiving MIDI.

I believe what I have below is 4 Midi Ports total with MIDI channels to spare. Am I maxed out of ports with this setup? 

Thank you!

Comments

• What I'm most confused about is the 4 port limit over RTP midi and if that just applies per Midi device (In this case Mio4 & MIDI4+) or if thats for the total network.

It's per interface. You can have as many ports as you like across the network, up to many hundreds. However since everything on the network is running via the PA12, you are limited to 4 RTP-MIDI ports transmitting via that interface. So in the diagram above you could have 2 of those ports feeding the mio4, and another 2 feeding the MIDI4 for example. Or 1 to the mio4 and 3 to the MIDI4.

Your diagram looks like it should work fine, but I'd be a bit wary of those MIDI Thru and MIDI Merge boxes. They should work, but it's potentially a bottleneck, so I'd keep an eye on that.
  • edited April 25
    I see! Couple things:

- You're wary of the MIDI thru / merge boxes. Although they've worked fine in the past I'm always looking for better setup. Is there a better way to go about it when using multiple channels per MIDI port? I can buy different iconnectivity hardware if needed. 

- MIDI failover is very important to this setup which is why I have the PA12 first / last in the chain. Is there another setup that keeps PA12 failover and lifts the overall 4 MIDI port limit?

Thank you!
  • Is there a better way to go about it when using multiple channels per MIDI port? 

You could add another mio4 or switch to a mio10 to give you more physical DIN-MIDI ports. But you'd still run into the 4 port limitation of the PA12 to control them.

Is there another setup that keeps PA12 failover and lifts the overall 4 MIDI port limit?

Unfortunately not :-(
  • I might have had an "ah ha" moment and correct me if I'm wrong — This whole time I was thinking the devices connected to the Merge needed to be switched. I guess it doesn't! Neither do the devices connected to the MIO4.  I just need both computers to be receiving the MIDI simultaneously at all times. The only switching that needs to happen is for devices on stage that are RECEIVING MIDI.

This raises some new questions:

- If MIDI going to the computers no longer need to get there through the PA12, what's the best way to get it there? Connect the computers directly to the Ethernet Switch? 

- Is it simpler to just keep everything going through the PA12? It is one less thing to plug into the computers (1 USB cable vs 1 USB and 1 Ethernet).  

Thank you! 
  • You can do it either way. Any MIDI going into the PA12 is automatically sent to both computers. So you can go via the PA12 or directly to the computers via Ethernet, whichever you prefer.