Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help getting started

I'm new to this. I have a Roland Juno Di kybd that accesses the pc and daw through a usb cable. I have a Roland JV 1080. I want to use the Juno and JV through the iConnect into the pc/daw for record and playback. When I say I need help, I mean from connecting midi out from kybd to midi in of jv (standard midi cable) and then connect to (standard midi cable) iConnect? to record and playback both sources from daw.

Comments

• edited July 2015
    So first you would want to connet the MIDI out (from the Roland keyboard) to the MIDI In of the iConnectMIDI2+. Then connet from the MIDI In (from the Roland keyboard) to the MIDI Out on the iConnectMIDI2+. This will allow you to program MIDI into your recording software and also trigger the keyboard from the software while in playback. Alrhough, keep in mind you will need to have the outputs connected to a mixer or an audio interface in order to hear the audio, or in order to bring the audio back into your recording software for tracking it.
    (You can do the same thing if you have two keyboards that support MIDIN DIN)

Then you need to go into your recording software's preferences and find the MIDI section. Make sure you see the iConnectivity interface listed as an input and output source.
    Then create a MIDI track or "instrument" track and assign a sound to the tack (unless you just want to track the MIDI).

If you're not sure how to use the DAW, it's best to download the manual so you will understand its workflow. With any recording software, you will need to set your hardware in the preferences, then you will need to set your input and output routing on the channel strip. Then "arm" the track by pressing the 'R' button and then record using the master transport controls.

Let me know how I can assist further,
    -JS
  • Thank you JS. I'm taking small steps here so I do need more assistance. Starting with what you gave me, my next step is connecting the sound mod. The kybd has MIDI In/Out. The sound mod has MIDI In/Out/Thru. Is it possible to connect this so I can control the sound mod from the kybd (record sounds to the DAW) and play back from the DAW to both kybd and sound mod?
  • edited August 2015
    Sure thing, if you wanted to use the THRU MIDI port - you can send MIDi to the sound module and to the iConnectMIDI2+/computer at the same time. You can also just set up a MIDI bus using iConfig if you wanted a MIDI In port to send to two MIDI Out ports, or vice versa.

So using the MIDI THRU port - you would connect a MIDI 5-pin DIN cables from the MIDI Out on the keyboard to the MIDI In on the sound module (to send MIDI from your keyboard to the sound module), and connect a MIDI 5-pin DIN cable from the MIDI THRU on the sound module to the MIDI IN on the iConnectMIDI2+ (to send MIDI from the keyboard to the iConnectMIDI2+). If you switched that or added another MIDI DIN cable - you could connected a MIDI DIN cable to the MIDI Out of the sound module to the MIDI In on the iConnectMIDI2+ (using both MIDI In ports), allowing you to send MIDI/sequences from the module to the iConnectMIDI2+ - all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Note that sometimes you will need to activate the MIDI THRU port, so check the MIDI preferences on the sound module to make sure the routing is correct and things are ON/Active. This is also how you would send MIDI sync to and from the sound module. You could also route MIDI Beat Clock from a DAW/Recording Software to the sound module in order to sync BPMs - especially helpful when recording with an arpeggiator or synth effects since the BPMs can change in (close to) real time. You can set up these BPM and signature changes in the timeline of your DAW and then send MIDI Clock from the DAW to the sound module's MIDI Port (on the iConnectMIDI2+). See your DAW MIDI preferences if you want to check that out, or you can read more about syncing your hardware and software here: http://www.iconnectivity.com/blog/using-midi-sync-your-hardware-and-software

Let me know how I can assist further.