Can I change the default Audio OUT?

Every time when I turn on my iCA4+ the 'interactive display' shows channels 1 and 2 for (head)Phones. So that seems to be the default Audio OUT... I would like to change that (default Audio OUT) to OUT 3 and 4. Is that possible?

Comments

• Sure. Please take a look at the audio patch at in iConfig. There's a blog post on wrapping your head around the mixer that may help.
  • Sorry for not being clear (but thanks for your answer, @nickbatz): I mean the default setting on the interactive display of the iCA4+: after powering up, it always has Phones selected on the bottom row and channels 1 + 2 on the top row. So I always have to use my fingers on that display to select Out in the bottom row and channel 3 + 4 in the top row, so that I can use the rotary knob for adjusting the volume level for that channels for my speakers. I wish that the iCA4+ would start up with Out selected on the bottom row and 3 + 4 on the top row. Is that possible? It's not a big problem of course, but sure would be more convenient...
  • Okay, now I get it. Yeah, that's the way it powers up. Note that the interface does remember your levels, so you're not going to get blasted out of your chair, and... well, it's just one extra touch. :)

But duly noted. I'll pass this along as a feature request.
  • Hey people, you're making me think a short blog post on calibrating monitor levels would be appropriate. :) Yeah you'll want to check mixes at different levels, but real men and women set their monitors to, say, 88dB SPL with pink noise and always use that reference level. That's for any kind of music/audio production.

And this doesn't negate the feature request, which as I said is duly noted. But it does tell me to recommend the standard practice. :)
  • edited October 2015
    Well, it applies 40% of the time in that case. :)

To be clear, I certainly didn't write that up to discount your feature request, which I passed on as promised.

The blog post is only because I got the feeling some of our users may find it helpful. Monitor calibration is close to a set-and-forget control for a lot of musicians, and with iConfig you can even set it in software.
  • Let me add my vote for adding this feature. While I have a standard reference level for working, I also use the ICA4+ and monitors for normal computer audio. I also tend not to use the headphone out because the jack is difficult to access in my setup.
  • I know this post is a bit old, but I've run into this exact issue after just getting my iCA4+. My Mac isn't only used for music, so I need some volume control. The iMac keyboard volume buttons are disabled when the iCA4+ is connected, so I need to use the iCA4+ knob. After an iCA4+ restart, which I need to do often because of a frustrating host MIDI problem, I have to tap Out twice, then 1-2, then can change the volume. I'd love for it to boot back up to where I left it, which is with the knob controlling 1-2 output.

- Patrick

(Not sure about others, but I am finding this device promising, but not yet ready for prime time and not worth the hassle. I just wanted to share a set of speakers and a USB MIDI controller between my iPad and iMac. The audio part basically works, but introduces this volume knob usability issue for normal iMac use, and the MIDI controller part is a mess. I'll describe that in another post... )
  • edited July 2016
    I appreciate that you would prefer the volume control to be different, and we have noted the feature request.

But not ready for prime time or worth the hassle?! Well, to each his own I guess.

I'm not saying this to argue from authority, just to qualify my opinion... but I've worked with a whole lot of audio interfaces over the years, starting way before iConnectivity existed - including about eight of them side-by-side when I wrote a round-up article for a magazine I ran - and the iConnectAUDIO4+ is by far the most innovative one I've seen. You just plug in a single USB cable and your entire setup becomes available to a second computer or another musician for collaborating!

That's my personal opinion as a musician, not being defensive because I work with the company. :)
  • Hi Nick,
    It doesnt behoove you to add comments such as "Well, to each his own I guess." to your interactions with paying customers. The fact is that yes, iC devices are powerful and flexible, but they are most certainly not easy to figure out. And iConfig is far from perfect, particularly on iOS. The entire iC ecosystem is a work in progress which is going well, but is far from "finished" in my opinion. Others seem to agree.
    Dont blame your customers when they make conclusions you don't like. For product developers, user stories are your most important guide as to what the future should hold.
    I've worked professionally with computer digital audio interfaces since 1995. The gold standard is RME. Compared to that company, iConnectivity is still a babe in the woods.
    I've voted with my wallet, investing heavily in iC devices. I'm not about to depart, but I hope the company will focus heavily on making the products easier to use and more reliable.
  • Just my personal opinion, Diggo. I agree with the feature request, but I was surprised by the other comments.

That's my legitimate reaction. I'm not being snide, rude, dismissive, or even speaking PR talk, just saying what I believe!

RME makes excellent interfaces, in fact I own one of their cards (it's on an old Gigasampler machine). But I can't agree with your assessment either. Nobody else is doing what iConnectivity is doing, with audio or MIDI.
  • Hi, Nick,

I don't deny that iConnectivity is doing something that no one else is doing. That's precisely why I spent 3x what I could have paid for a Presonus iOne, which would have covered this particular secondary audio need for me other than the simultaneous use by iPad and iMac. (See P.S. below)

However, out of the box, I had trouble getting the firmware updated with the current version of iConfig and the beta version simply crashes on launch. Support did respond to that ticket and a few rounds with the boot loader finally got things working. Then, the MIDI controller via the Host jack was very demonstrably and repeatably unreliable until I reset and undid 95% of the factory MIDI routing settings.

I am truly glad it works well for you. I am also truly glad I seem to have gotten it working for me. However, you shouldn't dismiss that some people, with some configurations of gear and software, have legitimate troubles out-of-the-box.

There's a usability gap here that if filled could really help the initial perception product. The concept is brilliant. It really does need a little bit of polishing, though.

I found a workaround for the MIDI. I'll use the speaker volume control as a workaround for the iCA4+ front panel volume issue for now. I do hope they'll consider saving front panel state across restarts, though, so I could just use the iCA4+ knob.

- Patrick

P.S. This iCA4+/Nektar/iPad thing is just for fun, incidental practice, and emergency/super-portable backup. I have an entire separate hardware rig with Roland synth and A&H Qu-Pac for my real gig performance/in-ear mixing/band mixing use. I run more complex gear than this regularly. I'm not a novice.
  • Patrick, first of all I apologize for the slow support response. That shouldn't happen, and my understanding is that it doesn't very often.

Now, my personal - again, personal, not representing iConnectivity or anyone else! - was only because of your "not ready for prime time" comment. In all honesty I find that rather astonishing. I'm certainly not dismissing anything you said, and I apologize if it sounded like I was doing that. Again, I agree that the volume control defaults could be improved, but to me it's not a show-stopper!
  • My comment regarding "not ready for prime time" was a combined reaction to:

1) The inability of the current iConfig software to launch at all (until I went through boot loader cycles) and the resulting inability to get the latest firmware loaded.
    2) The crash-on-launch of the beta iConfig software as I tried to mitigate item 1.
    3) The repeated & repeatable loss of Host MIDI controller connectivity.
    4) The need to deal with the front panel volume issue after each of the literally 20+ restarts of the device I went through in debugging items 1, 2, & 3.

So, in steady state, after all of the debug, sure, the volume control issue is not a show stopper. The combination of items 1-4, however, was the source of my comment regarding the product's readiness. Minimizing it to "the volume control defaults could be improved" misses the overall sense of what was going on with my out-of-box experience.

• #1 sounds like it was resolved, right? You got the firmware loaded? We'll help you through it if you didn't, because it's a matter of delivering a SysEx file without interruption.

#2 shouldn't be happening. What platform is it crashing on? I load iConfig on an iPad Air 2, and two Macs running 10.11.5: a 11" MacBook Air and Mac Pro. That's not every platform, though, so again I'm not poo-pooing what you say.

#3 is also not universal. I have heard about it before, but I believe they weren't able to re-create the problem in our offices - on an actual unit that did it! That's worth filing a support ticket, though, because it certainly isn't de rigeur for iConnectivity interfaces.

• 1) Yes. Resolved. Getting the iCA4+ into boot loader mode seemed to allow iConfig 4.2.0 on the Mac to launch to the point where it could do the firmware upgrade, which was successful. iConfig would not launch before that as it hung on the device scan.

2) Not resolved. Note that this one related to beta 4.2.1, which I was trying when 4.2.0 wouldn't launch. I just reinstalled 4.2.1 again to test and it still crashes on launch. Crash log excerpt below. I have 4.2.0 working now, so this is not critical. (The machine is a 5K iMac, Late 2015, 4GHz i7, 24GB 1867 MHz RAM, 10.11.5 El Cap.)

3) Apparently resolved. As mentioned in my other post and in a followup post on the unanswered ticket, a factory reset followed by removal of all MIDI routes and setting of -only- HST1-1 -> USB1-1 and HST1-1 -> USB2-1 routes seemed to resolve the MIDI Host issue. If others experience this MIDI Host issue, I'd suggest recommending removal of unnecessary MIDI routing as an early debug step.

------------

Crash log for iConfig 4.2.1:

------------

Process: iConnectivity iConfig [77421]
    Path: /Applications/iConnectivity iConfig.app/Contents/MacOS/iConnectivity iConfig
    Identifier: com.yourcompany.iConnectivity iConfig
    Version: ???
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: iConnectivity iConfig [77421]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2016-07-06 17:55:05.373 -0400
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.5 (15F34)
    Report Version: 11
    Anonymous UUID: DA760C90-B90E-A04F-AE81-8C74E9CB0B5C

Time Awake Since Boot: 590000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled