Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3rd Ipad on host port (midi only)

edited June 2016 in Audio
Hello,
It seems possible (people from Audiobus forum's told that) to connect a 3rd Ipad on the host port, using a male/male USB cable,to the new CCK (powered one) just for midi purposes.
So, of course I tried, but...The Ipad is not seen at all on the host port. I tried, with or without my hub. All classical devices are recognized but the Ipad.
I was expecting to see "ipad" or at least class compliant device, but nothing...
Any clue ?
Thanks !

Comments

• It's looking for a USB MIDI Class-Compliant device (I don't know what CCK is). The iPad is a computer device, so frankly I'd be surprised if it worked.
  • Hmm make sense...ok. FYI, CCK : Camera Connexion Kit :)

Would it possible to use an other hub usb to connect 2 ipads on one of the 2 main USB ports ?
    One would handle audio (and also between the other Ipad on the other port) and the other only midi.
  • After some research, I think the most reliable, and only solution in fact, would be to use bluetooth with MidiFlow:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midiflow-midi-router-processor/id879915554?mt=8

• edited June 2016
    Hmm, or bluetooth with Apollo, Midibridge seems to handle wifi only... but Midiflow does bluetooth, so yeah, confirmed that's a cool app...
  • edited June 2016
    Just to make sure, there are two USB DEVICE ports (for iOS/Mac/PC computer devices) - the two square USB-B ports; then there's the USB *MIDI HOSTing* port (for USB MIDI devices). You can connect a single USB MIDI Class-Compliant instrument to the HOST port, or up to eight if you use your powered USB hub.

The DEVICE ports are for computers (iPads are also computers) only.

It's confusing!
  • Thanks for the reminder Nick ! :)
    You answered well the first time. Then I was wondering if it could be possible on one of the two USB DEVICE (Pc/Mac/IOS) to add a usb hub, to have 2 ipads in a row...But it does not work either...
    So the only solution, as far as I can see, is bluetooth or wifi to transmit midi.
    Remember : it's for a 3rd Ipad...2 first USB DEVICE PORTS are busy with 2 ipads already...
    :)
  • Sure you can use Wi-Fi, in fact some of our interfaces have Network MIDI for just this kind of setup.
  • Hmm You mean the midi 4 interface ?...well how could I aggregate with my ica4+? Is it possible ? It does not provide a wifi router also , does it ?...
    Always more questions ...sorry :)
  • You can aggregate it, sure, in fact MIDI is aggregated automatically. It has an Ethernet port that you can connect to a Wi-Fi router or just wire to a computer, but for an iPad you'd need Wi-Fi (since they don't have the connector).
  • Hmm...I'm dumb...All I have to do is to plug an IM1 (for instance, but I have a simple Edirol UM2x midi interface) on the ICA4+ (on the Host port) to get a midi in/out , and on the third Ipad, on the ouput of his CCK an other midi interface (Midiman 4x4 that I already have...)
    No need for wireless...Except for using apps with Link.
    My last concern is to have also a wireless adhoc while I go on stage for my apps to be sync with Link...
    Thanks, this talk helped me a lot to figure this out !!
  • Network MIDI is MIDI-over-Ethernet, either wired or Wi-Fi. A Network MIDI Session is a 16-channel MIDI port going over ethernet.

We support four Sessions, one networked device (meaning a computer or an iConnectivity interface that supports Network MIDI).

iOS supports one Session per iPad too. Some iOS apps may support more than one MIDI "interface" at a time, so you may be able to send Network MIDI to another Wi-Fi device while using our interface. But that's not all apps.
  • Yep...I'll test tomorrow, but if can avoid midi thru wireless or bluetooth, because of the latency, that's perfect...
    For Link, between all Ipads, to use it without any connection, I think I'll go for that :
    https://www.hypershop.com/collections/storage/products/iusbport2
  • Latency is not at an issue, in my experience.
  • Well, I just tried between an Ipad 4 and a Pro, a simple connection midi/wireless with Midibridge, and I was loosing some notes, with just one app on each Ipad...Maybe I setuped wrong, but I was thinking about an Airport Extreme just for that...And wasn't very excited by the idea...
  • Then your network isn't reliable, or you're not close enough to your router. That sounds like a bad signal issue, not a latency one.
  • With Midibridge you setup a direct connection to the other Ipad...Hmm maybe I'm wrong...But as it received, I guess I couldn't be doing something wrong.(?)
  • @crony couldn't you just use the hotspot feature? or get one mines ten extra a month on my bill, but correct me if I'm wrong theres an app called Link to Midi on app store that does this or something link related like that i can't remember
  • Ok, solved, and fully functional, at the moment...see here :