Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issue Sending MIDI DATA from my iPad to multiple Synths

Hello
Let me explain first what I want to acheive
Here is my Setup
MIDI DIN 1 IN = AKAI EWI4000s MIDI OUT
MIDI DIN 1 OUT = ROLAND INTEGRA-7 MIDI IN
MIDI DIN 2 IN = Yamaha KX8 Master Keyboard MIDI OUT
MIDI DIN 2 OUT = KURTZWEIL PC2R MIDI IN
MIDI DIN 3 OUT = ROLAND FANTOM XR MIDI IN
MIDI DIN 4 OUT = YAMAHA MOTIF-RACK XS MIDI IN
USB 1 (Front Panel position 9 in the Manual) is connceted to Either my iPhone or my iPad

I have no problem for routing or unroute MIDI DIN 1 (AKAI EWI4000s) to port MIDI DIN 1, 2, 3, & 4 to all Synths at a time
I have no problem for routing or unroute MIDI DIN 2 (Yamaha KX8) to port MIDI DIN 1, 2, 3, & 4 to all Synths at a time

I have purchased an IOS app IMIDIPATCHBAY (http://www.imidipatchbay.com/) in order to send Program Changes to all Synths at a time for each Songs the problem is the this application does not seems to send any Data to the synths

Question what is the USB port names for the USB sockets in the iConfig apps
USB Port (Front pannel n#9 in the Manual) = ?
USB Port (Front pannel n#10 in the Manual) = ?
USB Port (Rear pannel n#11 in the Manual) = ?

I guess that I need to rout the USB Port where I have connected my iPAD to the different MIDI Port I want to send Data

I have tried many possibility and asked for support to the IMIDIPATCHBAY developper but never receive any feedback
So I would really appreciate your help to sort this out
Thanks a lot

Comments

• edited October 2016
    The USB Device jacks - as in computer *devices* (computer or iPad) - are called USB 1,2,3 (9,10,11) in that order.

You want to use Device jack 1 for the iPad, because it has the most charging voltage. (It's the left one on the front panel.)

If you want to send MIDI from Device jack 1 (your iPad) to all four DIN jacks, it's very easy:

- Go to iConfig's MIDI Port Routing tab.

- Select DIN 1 as the USB Device jack 1 source on the left.

- Highlight DINs 1, 2, 3, and 4 as its destination on the right.

Everything sent from your iPad to DIN 1 will now be routed to all four DINs.

Did I get the question right?
  • Thanks a lot I will try this and let you know if it works
    Thanks for your help

When you say "- Select DIN 1 as the USB Device jack 1 source on the left." what do you mean exactly
    Should I select both at a time in the routing menu
    Or should I select USB Device jack 1 and in the new window highlight the DIN 1 2 3 & 4 in order to have the information sent throught the iPad (USB Device jack 1 ) to all Synths ?
  • edited October 2016
    The MIDI Routing tab is a matrix with inputs to the grid - sources, or "MIDI from..." - running vertically on the left, and destinations ("MIDI to...") on the right.

So if you want MIDI (including patch changes) to go to several places when you send it to DIN 1 from your iPad (in USB 1), select USB 1's DIN 1 as your source and then click on the destinations you want it to go to on he right.

It's actually very simple once you get it!
  • What's actually going on in the patch I'm describing is that the MIDI you're sending to DIN 1 is copies to other destinations.

I should add that I'm not following your whole setup, because my brain is too small. What I'm doing is explaining how to make the interface do whatever you need it to do.
  • Thanks I thin it works now just need to understand how iMIDIPATCHBAY is sending the PC
    If I want to receive MIDI messages in the Synths I need to set it this way

USB1.1 DIN1 > DIN1 Roland Integra-7
    USB1.2 DIN2 > DIN2 Kurtzweil PC2R
    USB1.3 DIN3 > DIN3 Roland Fantom XR
    USB1.4 DIN4 > DIN4 Yamaha Motif-Rack XS

I use set it this way
    USB1.1 DIN1 > DIN1 Roland Integra-7
    USB1.1 DIN1 > DIN2 Kurtzweil PC2R
    USB1.1 DIN1 > DIN3 Roland Fantom XR
    USB1.1 DIN1 > DIN4 Yamaha Motif-Rack XS

Doing this I only receive MIDI message (e.g. Volume from the Exernal Synth 1 of the iMIDIPatchBay) to DIN1 Roland Integra-7 (the MIDI LED was lighting)
    but not on the other Synths
    But I was not able to receive any message to the other DIN ports
    Not I do but I still don't undersatand why the PC are not transmited (should come from the iMIDIPatchBay

What I see now in the iMIDIPatchBay set up is
    for External Synth 1
    iConnectMIDI4+ DIN1, CH1, and the PC set Pgr 16 MSB 89 LSB 64
    (if I send this PC from a BERHINGER FCB1010 it works

So thanks Nick I need to dig deeper into the iMIDIPATCHBAY

Regards
    Fred
  • Everything fine now (I am stupid) I did not tick the line "Send Program Change on Load"
    Thanks for your help
    Regards
    fred