Rumors new iPad: USB C instead of lightning

There are rumors that the new iPad has USB C instead of lightning. I wonder if iConnectivity products (like the iCA4+ ) will have serious problems when that happens. Or just hook up a USB B to USB C cable without problems?

Comments

• We don't know. And given past experience with Apple it could go either way. We just have to wait and see.
  • Ok, thanks for reply. We’ll wait and see.
  • Ooops... I could have just added my ? here. Sorry...
  • how is this situation with the New iPad?! time to quit iC4+? =)

• but, how to connect iCA4+ directly to the iPad, for example? With the lightning you guys have a special cable... will have the same with TYPE C connectivity?! or any TYPE B/TYPE C will work?!
  • From the article:

An OTG hub with Power Delivery functionality will also power both the iPad and our bus-powered interfaces, so we strongly recommend the use of a USB-C hub of this type,

Using either a simple inline OTG adapter or an OTG hub, in our tests we found that all MIDI and audio works as expected, including audio pass through on iConnectivityMIDI2+ and iConnectivityMIDI4+. 

• Guys, I just bought a New IPad Pro 11” and a five dollars USB to USB TYPE C connector. I plugged it to my IC2+ interface and guess what... it works perfectly!!. I can transfer audio and manage outputs from Prime and the charging feature works fine (with external power supply 18w plugged to the IC2+). Great news for me... now the funny thing: I had big doubts about this (otg, iOS black magic, external powered hub, etc), so I put my IC2+ and the power supply in a bag, I bought the five usd cable and I did all this proof of concept directly in the Apple Store (MacOnline here in Chile), I said to the seller “Let me do this, If this works, I will buy the IPad”. It was a win win situation. Cheers.
  • Glad to hear it is working out for you too! I think some people still have trouble realising that it can really be that simple :-)
  • jimmhy said:
    Guys, I just bought a New IPad Pro 11” and a five dollars USB to USB TYPE C connector. I plugged it to my IC2+ interface and guess what... it works perfectly!!. I can transfer audio and manage outputs from Prime and the charging feature works fine (with external power supply 18w plugged to the IC2+). Great news for me... now the funny thing: I had big doubts about this (otg, iOS black magic, external powered hub, etc), so I put my IC2+ and the power supply in a bag, I bought the five usd cable and I did all this proof of concept directly in the Apple Store (MacOnline here in Chile), I said to the seller “Let me do this, If this works, I will buy the IPad”. It was a win win situation. Cheers.
    Questions for Jimmhy and Rodney ~ nice to meet you both virtually.  I just posted on another forum post about having issues using iConfig with my iPad Pro11 USB-C and losing connection whenever I hit any button within iConfig.  This leads me to this forum post about getting from the USB-B ports on the iConnectAudio4+ into my iPad.  So Rodney, that link you posted has info about using OTG adapter.  I'm currently using an Apple US-C to USB adapter but it makes no mention of OTG so is it safe to assume that's what's causing my connection issues?  So something like this is what I need? https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Adapter-Female-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B01FM51812/ref=sr_1_5?crid=9D8XHD06BCOR&keywords=usb-c+otg+adapter&qid=1557554772&s=electronics&sprefix=usb-C+OTG%2Celectronics%2C188&sr=1-5

Is there also some info on supported/compatible USB-C OTG hubs?  There seem to be a lot of options and most seem oriented towards MacbookPro's and there's little info on iPad Pro 2018 support.  Any recommendations on a small hub that would also supply power?  Most of the hubs seem to have tons (8-11) different connections that I really don't need.  Thanks for your time and help! ~ Kasson
  • Generally speaking, every single OTG cable and hub we have tested works. But obviously we can't test them all. We personally have had good results with the UGreen hubs. However manufacturers often change internal components without telling anyone, so even then we can't guarantee that one you get is the same. Chances are very good that it will work though.
  • Generally speaking, every single OTG cable and hub we have tested works. But obviously we can't test them all. We personally have had good results with the UGreen hubs. However manufacturers often change internal components without telling anyone, so even then we can't guarantee that one you get is the same. Chances are very good that it will work though.
    Ok sounds good Rodney ~ thanks!  I've ordered a Kingston Nucleum hub and it'll show up today.  I'll let you know if it works!
  • Hi Rodney ~ I received my Kingston Nucleum USB-C powered hub but it does not solve the problem of getting iConfig on my iPad Pro11 (2018) to work with the Audio4+.  In going back and reading the info on the Kingston Nucleum it does not mention OTG in the description though so I'm guessing that's still my issue.  I'll have to return it.  I did a search of UGreen USB-C hubs within their amazon store page and only 1 hub supports OTG and was literally the last on the page.  Buuuut, it looks like it what I need and supports OTG and has PD mode for powering. Could you confirm that this is a model that will work? https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-Compatible-MacBook-Spectre/dp/B07J9Q29KJ?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_18233386011 or better yet,  could you tell me the exact model number of the hub you are using.  I've been doing pro-audio now for 25 years and have never once encountered such frustration and lack of info on this whole topic of iPad/audio/USB-C.  I've been scouring other forums (specifically AudioBus forum and there are lots of people saying "just get a USB-C hub and you'll be fine" and not a single mention of OTG.  Is the iConnectivityAudio4+ the only iPad audio interface that requires OTG or do all audio interfaces require it?  Very confused on this whole matter and really would like to be making music rather than buying numerous hub's off of amazon. Even better,  I would have paid like $50-80 more for my audio4+ if you had just put a working hub/cable into the box.  Thanks for your help and hopefully we'll get this running!
  • That uGreen one looks like one we have tested successfully. HOWEVER at this end of the consumer market companies can sometimes change specs and internal components without telling anyone, so something that we test successfully might not be the exact same product as the one you end up buying. So just bear that in mind. However chances are good.

Re OTG or not OTG: this is nothing to do with our interfaces, it's to do with the way that the USB-C specification works. This article explains it in detail and if you have queries I strongly advise reading it carefully and completely:

https://iconnectivity.supportbee.com/53-iconnectivity-knowledgebase/535-general/8772-will-my-iconnectivity-interface-work-with-usb-c

This is the section you are looking for:

All USB devices must be defined as either be a Host or a Peripheral. In previous versions of USB, a Host port always used a USB-A connector (the rectangular port that you normally find on a computer); whereas the Peripheral always used one of the various types of USB-B connector (either a full-size square connector or a USB-B Mini or Micro connector) like you would find on an external hard drive, MIDI keyboard, or other accessory.

USB-C is different - there is only one type of USB-C physical connector, and devices can either choose to be Hosts or to be Peripherals. Whether they are defined as a Host or Peripheral is determined by the internal wiring of the USB-C port itself. So for example, the USB-C ports on your laptop are generally wired to act as Hosts, whereas the USB-C port on your mobile phone or tablet is usually wired to act as a Peripheral.

However sometimes you might want your mobile device to be a Host instead of a Peripheral - for example if you want to use it with your iConnectivity Audio or MIDI interface. USB-C has a very clever way to do this, using the On-The-Go protocol (usually shortened to OTG). An On-The-Go cable is wired up in such a way that it can convert what is normally defined as a Peripheral to act as a Host instead. So plugging a USB-C OTG adapter or USB-C OTG hub into your iPad or Android tablet will enable it to act as if it is a laptop computer instead of an accessory. 

• Hi Rodney ~ thanks for the info and I had read the page you linked to.  So I received 2 different OTG options today to test and sadly neither worked. I've started a ticket from the support page and hopefully someone will be able to help with my issues.  I got a simple USB-C OTG adapter cable (USB-C to female USB-A) and then used the iConnectivity-supplied USB-A to USB-B cable to connect to the Audio4+.  I also received the UGreen USB-C hub that supports both PD and OTG.  Both the hub and the adapter cable did not work.  iConfig sees the unit (along with the serial number) but when I click connect it takes me to the Main Menu and press any of the button options timesout and says "Lost Connection"  ~ no matter what I seem to do it just won't connect. Even though I was fine using the iConnect with my MacbookPro (both iConfig and Auracle and flashing the firmware to 2.0.5).  So I'm sort of at a loss.  It seems that Iconnectivity no longer supports iConfig but that Auracle is not an iOS app option so maybe that's the issue.  It seems like on the forums here some people must have gotten it running and you're saying you are able to get iConfig to work on this exact setup: iPad Pro11 (2018) V12.2 using USB-C with an OTG powered hub and an Audio4+ on 2.0.5?  Thanks for your help with all this and hopefully we'll get it sorted soon!
  • Sorry, I think I misunderstood you. I thought you just wanted to get the hardware connection made, not the software as well.

iConfig for iOS probably won't work on the iPad Pro. Apple changed a bunch of stuff both in their new hardware, and in the last few iOS updates, that keep breaking iConfig for iOS. It's been a giant pain in the butt for us to be frank :-(
  • No worries Rodney ~ and totally understand about the ongoing frustrations with Apple constantly updating and breaking functionality. So I'm able to pass audio and midi to and from the device using the UGreen hub and the Audio4+ is then usable in AUM as my audio platform. So this then leads me to a question about how to config the Audio4+ with no iOS access.  Can I config and store that configuration using Auracle or iConfig on my MacbookPro, then store that config in the Audio4+, power it down, connect it to my iPad and that full routing config is then stored and working,  or is my only control over the Audio4+ using the front panel display?  For instance,  when I plug a mic into input 1 it gets auto-routed to the stereo outs and phones outs. However, then when I create an audio input in AUM to access the mic I then hear it doubled. What I need to do is shut off this direct routing in the Audio4+ and only use input monitoring through my audio app.  I read the manual looking for this answer but the manual mostly just talks about iConfig on a Mac/PC and not via iOS.  Again, thanks for your help with all this!
  • edited May 15
    Can I config and store that configuration using Auracle or iConfig on my MacbookPro, then store that config in the Audio4+, power it down, connect it to my iPad and that full routing config is then stored and working

Yes.

You can even connect both the MacBook and iPad at the same time, use Auracle on the Macbook to configure it the way you want, and then disconnect the MacBook when you no longer need it. Auracle should auto-save whatever you do and the interface should remember it. 

If you use iConfig on the MacBook, you need to ensure you choose to save the setting to the interface. (iConfig doesn't auto-save the way Auracle does)
  • Ok _ thanks for this Rodney ~ appreciate it!