Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I connect 30 pin iPads to Desktop Garageband using iConnectAudio4+

edited July 18 in Audio
I am a novice at this and any help will be appreciated.

I just bought a iConnectAudio4+ (my first audio interface). I have connected the Audio4+ to my desktop Mac using the 2.1A USB port.

So, I have several iPad's with 30 pin connectors. I have fun toy synths like iProphet and Electribe on these iPads. I would like to connect them to garageband running on my desktop mac. Specifically, would like to send audio from the synths on these iPads to Garageband tracks. Just audio, no MIDI. As I play the synth on the iPad, I want that to record on the main DAW (garageband on desktop). 

This would be fun for backing tracks and other experiments.

So, I tried plugging these iPads into a powered USB 2 hub and plugging the USB 2 hub into the USB-MIDI host port on the back of the iConnectAudio4+. Neither Garageband nor Auracle could see these iPads. 

How do I connect these iPads to my desktop ? Desktop is Mac OS 10.11.6 and Garageband is v6.0.5.

Best,
-J

Comments

• The midi host port on the iCA4+ is for midi (controlers) only; for audio from your 30-pin-iPads to your Mac you can use the iPad-headphones OUT to the iCA4+ line IN, or connect the iPad to the other USB-port on the iCA4+via some sort of 30-pins- to lightning connector.
  • edited July 18
    Ah ok, thanks, that was helpful.

iPad1: headphone out -> line in -> Audio4+
    iPad2: 30 pin to lighning -> usb 3 camera connection kit -> hub -> Audio4+ USB in

Only 2 iPads maximum can be connected ? (whenleaving one USB on Audio4+ to connect to the desktop)..Do I have this right ? [Side note: How to people connect 5 iPads all to the same garageband running on a desktop?]

Also, for iPad2, why do I need a camera connection kit ? Could I not do:

iPad2: 30 pin to lighning -> lightning to USB cable -> Audio4+ USB in

• Update: Tried connecting my iPad headphone out and while the cable goes property into the iPad, it is too small in diameter to go into the back of the Audio4+ (the input holes in the Audio4+ are too big). I'm a novice at all this - dunno what I'm missing here ?
  • Yes, you need a cable like this, and the 2 jacks go to the LINE INputs 3 and 4 on the front of the iCA4+

• edited July 19
    javadesigner said: How do people connect 5 iPads all to the same garageband running on a desktop?

These people must use a mixer with min. 10 inputs (5 x stereo) and connect the (stereo) line out of the mixer to the line INputs 3 and 4 of the iCA4+....
  • Haropus said:
    Yes, you need a cable like this, and the 2 jacks go to the LINE INputs 3 and 4 on the front of the iCA4+

Ah right, ok. I got a single mono connector and plugged into the one of the front end inputs of ICA4+ and I can hear audio in garageband :)

Thanks so much!
  • Haropus said:
    javadesigner said: How do people connect 5 iPads all to the same garageband running on a desktop?

These people must use a mixer with min. 10 inputs (5 x stereo) and connect the (stereo) line out of the mixer to the line INputs 3 and 4 of the iCA4+....

Ah right, I see now. I get it finally, thanks so much.

So I can connect 2 separate iPad's via headphone out on both to 2 of the inputs on ICA4+ and then 2 room mics (one vocal, one guitar) and I have a great setup.

Thanks again :)