Help configuring analog inputs

I went through the Quick Start Guide/Manual and I understood most of it. My analog 1/2 inputs are raised, and my phone/analog out 1/2 outputs are also raised, so I can hear things like computer audio when I play music. However, I can't seem to get the analog ins to send any data to the analog outs - iConfig shows sound data coming in, but no sound coming out. I'd appreciate a more thorough walkthrough, since I'm fairly new to using computers and interfaces in my setup.

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Do you wish to use the interface standalone with direct monitoring of your signals or are you using recording software (DAW) on a Mac, PC, or iOS device?

Typically you set the output to 1/2 in your software preferences and then each track gets an input source selected. You either arm the track to record or you put the track into "direct monitoring" mode (which allows you to hear the source without actually recording).

Let me know a little more about what else is connected and how you plan to use your hardware and I'd be glad to assist further.

Cheers,
    -JS
  • Hey, thanks for the reply! I plan to use iOS to do all of my recording, but I read that I needed to use iConfig to properly adjust the levels of the inputs first, since their gains were defaulted to zero. What I've done so far is to turn up the gain on all input channels and the 1&2 and headphone outputs. I have a copy of Ableton that I've been able to test the interface on, and the interface appears to be working well.

What I aim to do in iOS is two things: record direct using a DAW like Cubasis and trigger synths with MIDI Guitar. I've put off buying a DAW for now, but I am having trouble getting MIDI Guitar to recognize an input from the interface. I also plan to connect several MIDI controllers via a hub, but I figure I'll leave that as a separate issue for when the time comes, if I end up needing help.
  • edited June 2015
    Okay, let's start with getting signal to your app. When connected using your iConnectivity inline connectio cable, do you see the iConnectAUDIO4+ in Cubasis preferences as an external hardware selections for audio and MIDI?

So you know - every app will have preferences so that you can choose midi input and audio inputs and outputs (so it may not default to the hardware automatically/just like recording software on your computer). Depending on the bit and sample rate you are using, the interface may show up as a 6 x 6 or 8 x 8 sound card. You can also make sure the interface is being recognized by the iOS device in general by checking Apples (general>settings>about) menu at the bottom on your iOS device. All hardware connected to your iOS device will be listed here.

If you want to use a powered USB Hub, you can connect up to 8 class compliant USB-MIDI devices. Just make sure that USB-MIDI device does not require special drivers from the manufacture, as it may not work with the host Jack. Then In iConfig you will see the hardware connected show up as a 'HST' in the routing section (representing devices connected to the host Jack/powered USB hub). You can even reserve ports via iConfig so that every time you restart your rig, each controller connected to the host Jack will have the correct port assignment and routing.

Let me know if things look good in Cubasis and we'll make sure your MIDI routing is correct. By default, MIDI will be routed from the host Jack to the iPad (so you may not have to make any special rouring adjustments after being connected properly and with the correct app preferences selected).

Let me know how I can assist further.
  • I'm actually holding off on buying Cubasis for now, since it's not exactly the cheapest app on the market, but I think that I can diagnose the situation using MIDI Guitar first. I believe the problem is more basic than not being able to route audio through an app, as there seems to be a baseline issue of the iOS device not recognizing the interface. I went to Settings -> General -> About, but saw nothing about device peripherals attached.
  • Are you connected directly to a device jack using an iConnectivity connection cable?
    Are you using any adaptors?

You will see our interfaces listed at the bottom of Settings -> General -> About, so there does seem to be a general connection issue.

Appreciate the additional details,
    -JS
  • Hello, I have a problem in configuring the volume of recording from iPad to Reaper on Windows. For example, I routed DrumJam to output 5-6 on iPad and input 5-6 on PC DAW. But when I record the audio is very low (much lower than what I heard from monitor). How can I set the volume of any single channel? Why it's so different from general monitoring level? There is a master knob somewhere? Can I control it from interactive panel on ICA4+? I am a little bit confused ...Any help will be appreciated
  • edited June 2015
    There should not be any attenuation on the signal unless you have something special setup in iConfig's audio mixer section.

Also make sure your reaper monitoring is prefader - if you're looking to check the actual recorded level (not sure how you are monitoring at the moment).

Cheers!
  • edited June 2015
    here a screenshot:

http://s8.postimg.org/x0l6yfo11/Screenshot_2015_06_24_00_43_44_2.png

U1 is the iPad running a loop from DrumJam. U2 is Reaper on Windows. Apparently there is a significant loss of signal both in volume and in quality
  • Yeah I do see the low level. have you checked all the app options for volume?
    The signal does come digitally, so there should not be any signal quality or volume loss.

Are you checking app LEDs, if available, to see what the level looks like when it's leaving the app?

Appreciate the additional details,
    -JS
  • Thank you for your answer, can you be more specific about checking app options and app LEDs? I don't think i've understood.. It's really annoying issue because I bought ICA4+ mainly for the digital conversion and now I can't record anything coming from iPad
  • @ry_cooder: With 'app options and app LEDs' I think @jsandeen means: have you checked the output volume of the app? In Drumjam you can increase the volume under: Settings -> App Volume (a slider that defaults to 0db, but you can change that).
  • edited June 2015
    @Haropus: thank you, yes I checked the output app volume and I have increased it, bu it's not enough in order to have a good recording level. Not to mention that if I increase the app volume, it will increase both USB1 and USB2 volume ... this will not bridge the gap
  • edited June 2015
    If you are using the audio mixer, I would recommend disabling anything you have done there and just use the audio patchbay to route signal where you wish. When combining and mixing signals in the audio mixer, there is a good chance an attenuation setting is causing this. You will not experience this when routing directly through the hardware, without making sub mixes with the internal mixer.

You can also test by sending audio straight out the iOS using iTunes/Apple Music. If you have the same issue, it's an audio mixer setting causing the level change.

In general, you may not need to use the audio mixer section unless you wish to make a custom mix of signal, or you are using the hardware as a standalone mixer (no computer connected, or maybe just the iOS as a synth source). The audio patch bay will take car of all the routing you should need, then the DAW and sound modules will set outputs levels and input level (but with a digital source, you will get a full line level signal with no attenuation. Of course your channel fader will be able to control the output volume as needed.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.
    -JS
  • Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'll tack my question onto this discussion as it appears related. I want to run analog instruments (synths, drum machines) into the 1-4 inputs on the front and use them without firing up a DAW of any type. I just want to be able to hear the things connected to those inputs through my attached speakers, but as of yet I have not been able to figure out how to do that. Anhy help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • edited June 2015
    Hey @wmr - could you please create a new form post for me. Even though it may sound similar, users are trying to achieve different things.

In order to best assist you, I would recommend creating your own post.

Thanks!
  • I'll come find you @wmr. appreciate it.
  • Not to resurrect a dead topic, but I'd like to cut down on the forum clutter if I can. I have been experimenting with the audio patch bay on my own, and I've somewhat gotten the hang of it. I'm able to route my guitar through the interface and into a traditional DAW, and figured out how to send the signal to the analog outs. However, I'm still having trouble sending audio to an iPad. The app I'm working with is Midi Guitar, and while the iPad recognizes the interface, the app does not register any external signal. I've gone so far as to route the output from the #1 analog in to all 12 USB channels for both devices, but the app will not recognize anything.

Additionally, is it possible to send multiple ins to the H/L H/R channels? I want to be able to have a master out so that I can hear audio from multiple devices at once.
  • edited June 2015
    Hey @304958340 - I would recommend creating a support ticket since our file upload system stopped working on the forum (sorry about that). I would recommend sending screen shots of your iConfig audio patchbay as well as your app preferences so we can see what you are seeing to make sure your routing is proper.

Make sure to document as many details as possible, just incase our techs need to try to recreate something.
    http://iconnectivity.com/support

Thanks!,
    -JS
  • Actually, I just found out that Midi Guitar hasn't been updated in two years. That's almost certainly the problem; I just downloaded Midimorphosis and the tracking is there. Sorry about that!

However, my earlier question about a master out still stands. Is there any way to route multiple channels to a single out so that I can hear everything at once?
  • Yes, you can do this in the audio mixer section of iConfig. There's an introduction to this section on page 9 of the product manual.
    The audio mixer is great if you want to use the hardware standalone for live performances. Otherwise, most studio recordering will just use the audio patchbay section.
  • I solved the problem of signal attenuation in this way: I restored original settings on iConfig, and I deactivated the monitoring function on Reaper for audio coming from iCA4+. In this way I have no latency at all and what I listen from PA monitors is perfectly recorded on Reaper.
  • Good to hear you found a comfortable workflow Ry. Let us know if anything else comes up.