Can I chain my mio4 to my Komplete Audio 6?

Hi. I got a mio4 to add more MIDI connections in my studio. Can I connect it to my Mac through another interface?

Here's what I want to do:
  • Connect Komplete Audio 6 interface to Mac via USB
  • NOT connect the mio4 via USB — power it via adapter instead
  • Connect the MIDI connections on the front of the mio4 with the 5-pin MIDI connections on the back of the Komplete Audio
  • Connect my MIDI devices to the back of the mio4
  • Have everything show up in Audio MIDI Setup and play nicely

However – this is what I get instead:
  • when I tried to set up the mio4 as above (midi 1 connected to Komplete Audio midi, no USB) my computer doesn't know it's there
  • when I do connect the mio4 via USB (midi connected to Komplete Audio), my computer recognizes it, but I can't connect the two interfaces in Audio MIDI Setup.
I thought the mio4 worked in "standalone" mode (no USB) – am I wrong?

It may be worth noting that I can indeed connect to my MIDI devices when the mio4 is connected via USB, so the unit is working. But I would rather avoid using the USB connection because it means adding yet another USB hub 

Thanks so much for any clarity or suggestions you can offer

Comments

• You can connect the mio4 to the Komplete 6 in a standalone type mode but you will need to do some modifications in routing to make that work.
    Normally when you connect via USb to the computer you will get 16 MIDI ports available, with 16 channels each.
    When you connect the Komplete 6 via DIN you are getting only a single MIDI port with 16 channels. 

This means you will need to send everything connected to the mio4 to that one DIN set and have everything channelized separately to be able to connect to each port separately.

The computer will not see any information from the mio4 in this setup. It will only se the Komplete 6 DIN ports and you would then select the correct MIDI channel number to get to the right ports.