MioXM and MIDI Clock

edited February 3 in MIDI
Today I connected a vintage Korg KMS-30 MIDI/DIN synchronizer to my MioXM interface. Digital Performer 11 is the master in this setup. I can see that the KMS is receiving MIDI tempo from DP/MioXM. A Roland TR-08, connected to the MIDI Out of the KMS, is also playing in sync with DP, but DIN Sync, where I have connected a TR-606 drum machine as a slave, is not playing.
If I disconnect DP/MioXM and use the TR-08 MIDI out as the master for the KMS, then DIN sync works, and the 606 is playing in sync with the TR-08. But why doesn´t it work through DP/MioXM? I´ve checked Auracle to see if the MIDI clock has been filtered, but it´s not.

Comments

• I'm curious about running clock through a mio as a clock distributor as well, although I don't have any DIN Sync devices.  So I'm sorry that I might not have the information you need or might be incorrect in my advice, and perhaps I should start a new thread instead, but isn't DIN Sync a different protocol that a lot of old Roland gear requires special interfaces for, such as their (unfortunately) discontinued Aira Sync box?  You might need a separate converter, as I believe DIN Sync is not the same thing as MIDI clock at all, although I might be wrong on this.  Again, I know very little about DIN Sync, so hopefully someone else can verify/clarify that.

What I've been planning on trying to try out for a long time is to get a sample accurate solution, such as from Expert Sleepers- Usamo(s)/ES series modular combinations- or a Multiclock, etc., and run that directly from my DAW through audio to MIDI, and then to my mio10.  If I distribute this clock, or multiple clocks (I think Silent Way can send out multiple clocks with different offsets to different MIDI outputs but am investigating that further) to my mio10 and then out to the rest of my gear, will the mio introduce much latency/drift/etc.?  Or would I be better off connecting the clock outs from, say, an Expert Sleepers ES-40 and ESX-8MD directly to my gear and using the mio only for other MIDI data?  I realize that too much MIDI data can jam things up (the default iConnect routing of everything being sent to everything else always makes me laugh) so should clock be sent on exclusive channels or ports for best results, and/or should I not use the mio as a clock distributor?  I'm looking for REALLY tight timing, so I can for example layer drums from different electronic instruments together.

Anyway, sorry OP if I hijacked your thread a  bit but it seems relevant, at least as far as the mio's uses with clock is concerned.

TL;DR Is the mio an excellent clock distribution solution?
  • DIN sync and MIDI clock is a different thing. the mio X Series interface do not do DIN sync but will pass MIDI clock anywhere and everywhere.
    The distribution should be perfectly fine. There are a lot of people who use ERM multiclock with the mio10 and mioXL to move clock around and seem to have it working the way they want.