'bi-directional' USB Connection question

ok, this might sound like a ridiculous question, however, in auracle, if i'm connecting my synth (source) via USB to my DAW (destination), if I want my DAW to send to my Synth also do I need to make the connection the other way too (DAW as source, synth as destination)?
USB MIDI is bidirectional so I assumed it may work making the top connection only.

SOURCE                                                            DESTINATION
HST1 - PROPHET6     ------------------------>   USB DAW HST1

SOURCE                                                            DESTINATION
USB DAW HST1         ------------------------>    HST1 - PROPHET6  

Many thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• By default the USB DAW and RTP ports have a matched connection for in and out but if you are doing custom routings you will want to make sure it's routed both ways.
    The routing you mentioned above is correct.
  • tsho08 said:
    By default the USB DAW and RTP ports have a matched connection for in and out but if you are doing custom routings you will want to make sure it's routed both ways.
    The routing you mentioned above is correct.
    Ah thats great, many thanks for confirming, much appreciated.
    It seemed like a stupid question at first but with USB being 2 way it made sense to enquire and avoid an unwanted loop.

Have there been any problems using both USB MIDI and DIN MIDI in a single chain? So, a synth with 2x DIN into MIO-XL being controlled by a Sequencer going into MIO-XL via USB MIDI Host?

Thanks again!
  • tsho08 said:
    By default the USB DAW and RTP ports have a matched connection for in and out
    Apologies, i'm not very experienced with MIDI routing, hence why I bought the MIO-XL, so your help is very much appreciated!

When you say the USB DAW port has a matched in and out connection, does this mean that if i want my synth to simply receive midi from my DAW then my MIO-XL connection needs to only be SYNTH DIN (source) > USB DAW (destination) alone with no need to connect them the other way too: USB DAW (source) > SYNTH DIN (destination)?
    Thanks again
  • What I meant is we've setup default settings on the device so both the connections you mention are enabled on startup.
    You get USB host (source/input) --> USB DAW(destination/output)
    You get USB DAW (source/input) --> USB host (destination/output)

In this way when you connect and reserve a USB MIDI controller you have routing from the synth into the computer AND there is a second routing from the computer to the synth.